PDA

View Full Version : Hair being dyed next week...

Fizzy88
05-01-13, 09:42
I've got my hairdressing appointment scheduled for next week and I'm really stressed about it! Need advice guys!
about 6 months ago I dyed my hair red with no problem, but I'd missed big sections (because I'm useless at doing my own!) so I bought a red wash in wash out to top up the missed bits. About an hour after doing it, I thought I was having an anaphylactic episode but what I now believe was a panic attack (I know the difference because I've had 3 anaphylactic reactions before to artificial red food dye, nutmeg and hazelnuts).

I believe this is where my health anxiety began. I became obsessed with finding a dye I wouldn't react to. After popping to my hair dressers they suggested golwell elumen with no ppd.
I did that and it was soooo red!! Looked lovely but it wouldn't budge!! Even going back and using the 'return' product didn't make any difference! So I went back and they dyed it with tigi back to brown. But the red keeps coming through!
I booked in again for this week and I insisted on an allergy test for tigi again, and this is what my question is about... The allergy test itched a bit at first then I was aware of this very faint burning. It went on and off when I tried to stop thinking about it. The next day I checked it and the patch test just below my ear was completely normal but behind my ear was really pink and I realised that was what felt a bit warm ad had the slight burning sensation. The hair dressers said it was almost unheard of not to react instantly but I feel it sort of did.
They want me to go in and get a wella test next but I'm mega worried I won't react then have full blown massive eyes and go in a coma!!

Sorry this was so long I wanted everyone to know the background !

Any advice appreciated or similar stories!! Thanks in advance!

almamatters
05-01-13, 16:40
I have posted several times about my fear of hair dye. All I can say is after dying my hair for 12 years at home with no problems whatsoever, I one day out of the blue developed an intense fear of allergic reactions.
I kept redoing the allergy test, which I had no reaction to, but I was convinced behind my ear was itching, red and burning.
After 3 months of carrying on like this and still not brave enough to put the dye on , I went to the hairdressers for advice.
We reached a compromise, she would put highlights on for me and would then not have to put the dye anywhere near my scalp. Even this was very worrying for me, but eventually went for it (I also have a fear of the hairdressers anyway, so I was extra worried) I posted my story under success stories on Friday.
I wanted to share my story with you, as I know it can be quite a worry but there is such a tiny percentage of people that do have a reaction with hair dye that usually our fears come to nothing.
Good luck let us know how you get on.

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Sorry but did you mean you are going back for another allergy test at the hairdressers?

cassy1989
05-01-13, 16:45
So weird you posted this! I want to dye my hair next week and I have only ever dyed it once before and I'm really really freaking out about having an allergic reaction but I really want it done too. Only thing is I have heard even if you don't react to the patch test then there is still a chance of having an allergic reaction once you have had the dye on your hair? Xx

almamatters
05-01-13, 16:48
That is what scares me Cassy I am not sure if it is true though, It is just one of things I have read but the thought has stayed with me.
When you think of the millions of people that dye their hair and the small amount that have reactions, it does put it in perspective.

Fizzy88
05-01-13, 19:02
Ah thank you almamatters and cassy1989! I've been back in today and they've put a wella dye on the opposite ear for me! So far nothing but my heart is racing and every single symptom of anything I get is making me freak out a little bit!! It didn't help the owner was telling me his own experiences of a girl who reacted! Umm thanks!! Hehe! The only thing keeping me going is the fact that the patch itself looked totally normal from my first patch test! I just hate havin to make the judgement call on whether it's safe or not based on how this test goes!! Will let you know what happens! Thanks to you both :)

nikkinoo
05-01-13, 19:28
Hi Fizzy88,
I am a hairdresser and understand your anxiety. If you were my client I would recommend that you had your colour woven into your hair as lowlights using foils or pull the streaks of hair through the cap as with highlights and the colour applied. This way the colour would not come into contact with your skin.

Fizzy88
06-01-13, 00:16
Thanks nikkinoo, do you have any suggestions for me regarding my red elumen hair that keeps coming through under the brown? It seems elumen isn't like other dyes and it really bonded with my hair! It stayed so bright for ages but my brown roots looked awful after a few weeks! They were going to do a pre-pig on me?? A green to see if that would get it out but I think that was a tigi product that I (think) I reacted to. I just wonder of your idea about lowlights with foils would work on my bizarre elumenified hair? Thank you so much for responding I really appreciate you trying to help me! There are such lovely people on this site! I'm so glad I found it :) x

---------- Post added 06-01-13 at 00:16 ---------- Previous post was 05-01-13 at 21:38 ----------

Wella dye has been on 8 and a quarter hours and I genuinely can't feel it!! Will still suggest the foils or cap though cos I think that's an excellent suggestion! Gonna leave wella on at least 48 hours to be sure! 39 and 3/4 hrs to go!!!