PDA

View Full Version : Lymph nodes yet again

almamatters
05-01-13, 18:15
I know I have posted about this loads of times but I just cannot feel reassured. I have had swollen lymph nodes for 6 months now. The ones that particularly bother me are the 3 behind my ear as they are painful.
The GP has checked them several times and done relevant blood tests, but I am still worried. He will not check them again and said that I must "draw a line under them". I have an appointment Monday and feel tempted to ask about them again as I seriously think there is a problem with them.
If they are not a sign of anything sinister then why have they been swollen for 6 months and why do they flipping hurt??
Thanks for listening and I know I am repeating myself.

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:58 ----------

I just keep thinking it's lymphoma.

Arnie365
05-01-13, 18:22
Hi alma have you asked your GP to explain why they may still be swollen for 6 months? It might help you get some closure on it.

I've found most of the time GPs just innocently forget to explain things as they are so busy and having to jump from patient to patient.

Make a list of the questions you want to ask and take it with you. I've found this reassuring as its horrible coming out of the surgery and kicking yourself for not asking this or that as that's what creates the seeds of doubt which then grow.

almamatters
05-01-13, 18:33
Thank you Arnie, I will ask him why they are swollen. I usually get that flustered I forget to ask simply questions. I do have a list to take this time though, to help me remember. It is like you say you need closure especially when you have HA. :flowers:

Kyeee
05-01-13, 19:22
I've had a swollen lymph node on the side of my neck now since May. So that's 8 months or so. I didn't go to the doctors because I was terrified about what he would say, so I just left it. I went in September though, because of a few other things, and asked him about it, and he ordered a blood test, and everything came back clear and fine. It's still there now, and I can still feel it.

I'm in the same boat as you. Seeing as the tests came back fine, and it hasn't grown or anything, I really should forget about it, but I know how hard it is.

Eek
06-01-13, 02:21
I was under the impression that nodes with lymphoma were painless.

Arnie365
06-01-13, 06:26
I was under the impression that nodes with lymphoma were painless.

Yes they would be painless so stop worrying about it being lymphoma or any other type of cancer as they would be painless as well alma!

They are just swollen but as I say just make sure your doctor tells you why they are still swollen to set your mind at rest.

almamatters
06-01-13, 09:27
Thank you I have been told that lymph nodes with lymphoma are painless and also get bigger, but that does not stop me thinking these thoughts. I am going to check tomorrow at appointment like you suggested Arnie.
The GP would not let me have an ultrasound on them as he said it was unnecessary and since then I have been slightly obsessed with them.
Thanks for your replies. :flowers:

Arnie365
06-01-13, 11:35
I know it doesn't Hun. Just try to keep telling yourself over and over. It will slowly sink in and you will start to believe you are fine more than not.

I can't remember have you done cbt? I do my exercises every day. My therapist said I was a good boy lol and said so many patients don't put the effort in at home and end up filling them in during therapy. I think the time can beused better for other things in my 50mins a week. I don't mean to sound harsh as I know some days I feel I can't be bothered doing anything but then I think if I don't help myself, who will? I probably overdo it a bit to be honest writing down nearly every negative thought I get however I have noticed I'm getting less than I used to and am stopping some before they really begin automatically so think its starting to work.

:hugs:

almamatters
06-01-13, 12:38
Hi Arnie, I did CBT for my GAD 8 years ago and it did really help at the time. I also had 6 sessions with the charity Re-think where we had group meetings once a week. I did not have HA at the time and perhaps now need to address these issues.
My GP has told me that he is prepared to rule out all physical conditions with me first by scans , blood tests etc and if they are all clear then we need to address my Health anxiety.
Thank you for your reply and I am pleased that therapy is having a positive effect on you. :flowers:

Arnie365
06-01-13, 13:09
Thanks. Just been reviewing my notes for tomorrows session, 7 pages worth in 5 days so hopefully another gold star :D

Zingara
06-01-13, 21:46
I have a couple of lymph nodes palpable behind my ear that freak me out as well... I went to see the doctor and was told that they are nothing to worry about, but then I don't think he really felt properly, and I don't think he felt the second, smaller one at all. I can't stop feeling them to see if they have grown at all. They are still pretty small, but then I don't really know how big they need to be to be a worry. So I know how you feel... but your blood tests being normal ought to reassure you. I do know that's a very good sign that there's nothing to worry about.

almamatters
07-01-13, 19:26
Hi I went to see GP today and he did recheck my nodes. I did ask him why they could be swollen and he admitted he was not sure, but has asked me to have some more blood tests tomorrow.
I feel relieved that he checked them again, as they have not grown but are hurting.
Just need to get the blood tests done now.!

Arnie365
07-01-13, 19:27
hi alma hopefully this will get to the bottom of it and you can move on.

You been ok today otherwise?

almamatters
07-01-13, 19:29
Not too bad thank you Arnie. Hope you are well. :flowers:

Arnie365
07-01-13, 19:30
yes good thanks. Had a few good days in a row. Always nice!

Got therapy at 8pm so just getting ready for another soul searching session lol

candy_floss
07-01-13, 21:37
Do you ever have trouble with your scalp?
I have permanently enlarged lymph nodes in the same place as you are describing and the doctors think it's years of scalp dermatitis that caused this issue.
As anyone who reads my post will know, I still regularly entertain myself with the idea that I have lymphoma but no doctor will agree on a biopsy for me until one of the lumps grows to over 1cm. They haven't so I am left to get on with it it.

Oh and as others have said, pain is a very good sign. It indicates infection, not cancer. My nodes have been swollen painlessly the entire time, hence my constant fears about Lymphoma.

almamatters
07-01-13, 21:49
I do have a very itchy scalp in fact my hair near the nodes is always itching. I mentioned all this to GP today, who did not want to prescribe anything for me until he looks at results of blood tests. He said he has ruled out lymphoma, but that does not stop me worrying about it.
It is very hard to stop obsessing about nodes when they are swollen.
Thank you for your reply candy floss. Can you get a special shampoo for scalp dermatitis?
I remember reading your posts a few months ago. Did you ever go to ENT and get your nodes checked?

candy_floss
07-01-13, 22:31
I do have a very itchy scalp in fact my hair near the nodes is always itching. I mentioned all this to GP today, who did not want to prescribe anything for me until he looks at results of blood tests. He said he has ruled out lymphoma, but that does not stop me worrying about it.
It is very hard to stop obsessing about nodes when they are swollen.
Thank you for your reply candy floss. Can you get a special shampoo for scalp dermatitis?
I remember reading your posts a few months ago. Did you ever go to ENT and get your nodes checked?

Yes, after 6 months of permanently enlarged, painless lymph nodes, I was referred to an ENT (but only because I was turning up at the doctors every week and refusing to leave until I was referred :blush:).
The ENT felt my neck and behind my ears, told me there were about 8 swollen but benign feeling nodes. He diagnosed something called 'Dermatopathic Lymphadenitis', which basically means that constant scalp dermatitis has caused my nodes to swell permanently. He told me to think of them as scars. The nodes are full of dead tissue from times when they had swollen before due to my dermatitis and now they will never return to normal size again.
Of course I didn't believe this when no scan or biopsy was offered but I was told that I would only be allowed further tests if the lumps grew. They have not so nothing else I can do at this point.

Yes you can get shampoo for scalp dermatitis. The doctor prescribed me one but it didn't make any difference coz apparently in my case, the damage has already done and the nodes are already scarred now.
You can also buy one called t gel, which didn't help my scalp one bit but had very good reviews from other customers.

almamatters
07-01-13, 22:41
Thanks for your reply I will try the shampoo you never know it might help. :flowers:

candy_floss
07-01-13, 22:49
Thanks for your reply I will try the shampoo you never know it might help. :flowers:

No problem. It's certainly worth a try.