PDA

View Full Version : social phobia or agraphobia???

rubber
13-06-04, 22:44
hi all, i suffer from severe social phobia which causes me to avoid social situations completely, and i get panic attacks when im faced with them. At the moment i dont leave the house as im so anxious about talking to or meeting people, im also confused because i cant tell if i have agraphobia or social phobia?. is there anyone else in the same boat as me, if so id love to hear from you. thanks.

nomorepanic
13-06-04, 23:09
Hi Rubber

Welcome to the site and message forum.

It takes time to get over any phobia but it can be done. The best way forward is through exposure which means, I am afraid, that you have to get out and do the things that make you feel bad.

Nothing bad will happen to you but it does take a lot of hard work!

Have you read the "First steps" post that Meg wrote - that may offer some good starting points for you.

Welcome aboard

Nicola

rubber
14-06-04, 09:23
hi nicola, thanks for the reply, i will check out that post. have you been through this yourself, because you sound experienced??

grace
14-06-04, 10:11
hi rubber
i would just like to welcome you on board.
i havent been here very long myself but its full of lovely people and i'm sure you'll get the help and support you need.
i have/had a social phobia, i'm doing ok now but at one point i wouldnt go out of the house. if i did and someone spoke to me i would go red and start to panic cos i was going red and they would think that i had done something i shouldnt, how mad is that. i got over it bit by bit, just by using affirmations, self help tapes and books, rescue remedy and all the things you'll hear about on this site.
also i used tan spray on my face or put make-up on that way if i did go red no-one would see so i took away the need to panic, which i still did at first, but bit by bit it started to change.
i think that your mind gets into a set pattern -see someone you know, say hello, go red, panic, run away and hide - know what i mean.
i think you have to retrain yourself. it can be done.
people who know me now are suprised that i have anxiety attacks because i am quite confident and out going
i hope that this has given you a bit of help

xxx grace

Meg
14-06-04, 12:38
Hi Rubber,

This sounds like it is acute social phobia which has led to panic attacks and the fear of these has led to limitations which have turned you to agoraphobia which also relieves you of much of your social phobia too..

Exposure is the way forward and out of this but take it slowly .

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

rubber
15-06-04, 08:50
thanks for all of your replys, i know therapy is the only way forward, but im so scared to do it. when i think of going and seeing the doctor i feel really horrible and try to put it at the back of my mind. i know this isnt doing me any good but i cant help it. have any of you gone through this experience???

stimpy
15-06-04, 12:14
Hello and Welcome !

Yep, I've been there too. Infact in some ways I am still there, although I am getting braver.
At the height of my panic monster phase, I gave up totally. I wouldn't leave the lounge, I even became scared of going upstairs to the toilet.

As Meg said the only way out of it is to take the bull by the horns and go for it.
But go for it very slowly. One thing at a time. Get used to walking to the door, Then get used to opening the door, then put one foot out of the door.
Remember, it takes as long as it takes only try the next thing when you are 100% happy you can do the last thing. Go easy and keep telling yourself it will be okay.

You will get through it, but it is going to take time, hard work and a bit of panic.
Good luck!

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

rubber
16-06-04, 10:13
thanks for the advice stimpy, sounds like you went through a tough time, thanks for sharing that with me.