PDA

View Full Version : Theatre vertigo!

Catalyst
06-01-13, 01:16
My mum took me & the family to see The Lion King last week. It was amazing, except... the seating arrangement was a nightmare for me!

We were on the top tier and man, was it steep!! It caught me off guard. I hadn't even thought for a minute that I would have a problem, but as soon as I walked out the door on to the tier I knew I was going to have big problems. The seats were so hemmed in and when I say steep, I mean really steep! Even my sister made the comment that the seats should come with seat belts! It felt like you were literally tilted forward! Then there were the "uneven stairs". There were signs everywhere warning of this, but the reality was that one step down was half the depth of the following one. What's the deal with that?! I had to cling on to the railing and could just feel my anxiety brewing. Then I had to walk across the front of the balcony and could feel the whole flipping thing shaking under my feet. I made it to my seat, but then the panic set in - "what if I need to get out?"

I found it all really hard to cope with & was so frustrated with myself because this was my mum's treat for the family after all and I really wanted it to be a positive experience and memory. Part way through I needed the loo and made a bid for the ladies. I got there, but my heart was pounding - I could hear the song "Hakuna Matata" in the background... the irony wasn't lost on me! :blush:

I don't really know what to make of the experience. The dizziness and sense of vertigo that I got was uncontrollable, but I do think panic took over and that makes me cross with myself.

I've just realised that this doesn't sound like a health anxiety issue - wow, I hope my anxiety isn't pushing beyond that now. I am currently incredibly anxious about dizzyness though - particularly in regard to it affecting my job. Incidentally, its officially my birthday now. Yay! I guess I shouldn't me here typing this and feeling like everything is doomed should I?!

Baggs
06-01-13, 01:37
happy birthdayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Catalyst
06-01-13, 01:42
Aw thanks! (I think the birthday blues crept up on me a wee bit there! It happens every year!)

Baggs
06-01-13, 01:45
And maybe the after Christmas blues too. That sure happens to me

sunday
06-01-13, 11:18
hi

i can really relate to what you are saying here! I| would feel the exact same why if i had been there! I got it the other day when i was walking through the train station -they've just had a new floor fitted and its light blue with no line or any other pattern, which made me feel like i was walking on this fast expanse of space and i felt totally horrible! dizzy and vertigo etc. I get vertigo when i'm at work on my swivel office chair! is it me or the chair??! its horrible but i can totally relate to surroundings making physical syms worse x

Arnie365
06-01-13, 11:24
Hi catalyst, was this at the palace in manchester? If so I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't suffer from vertigo and last time I was there was long before i had anxiety and I went to see starlight express and was in the top tier. Man, I felt so comfortable all the way through. Kept feeling I was going to topple forward! I think it's a fairly normal response to be honest.

Catalyst
06-01-13, 12:14
Sunday - I often get vertigo walking on wooden floors and I'm sure its because I can feel the movement from the tolerance gaps! And if the back of a chair flexes a bit when I'm sat in it I get dizzy too! I'm so hypersensitive.

Arnie365 - yes! It was the Palace theatre in Manchester! I wonder how many other people in there were feeling the same as me then! I perched on the edge of my seat so I could try to lean back and was very grateful for the bottle of water I'd taken in with me. Glad to know its not just me then!

Elle-Kay
06-01-13, 12:32
I wouldn't worry about it being an anxiety thing to be honest - my Dad took my Mum (who doesn't have any anxiety issues) to see "Lord of the Dance", at Birmingham NEC I think. The raked seating there was as steep as you describe and my Mum said she found it very nerve-wracking, and felt like she spent the whole performance pushing herself back into her seat! God only knows how my Dad coped through the whole thing, as he has an inner ear problem which gives him genuine vertigo!

Happy Birthday :)

t0rt01se36
06-01-13, 12:39
Hi catalyst, was this at the palace in manchester? If so I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't suffer from vertigo and last time I was there was long before i had anxiety and I went to see starlight express and was in the top tier. Man, I felt so comfortable all the way through. Kept feeling I was going to topple forward! I think it's a fairly normal response to be honest.

I walked out, just as the show was about to begin, at the Palace Theatre, because i was seated so high up. It was Les Mis or errrrrm Phantom of the Opera.
It was a lonnngggg wait until I could join my family again.

Col
06-01-13, 17:55
hi catalyst before Arni said manchester, i was gonna suggest Sheffield Lyceum.

my God, man oh man , awfully small and awfully awfully steep seating almost a complete vertcal 90 degree angle! Do not know how they got away with it and im not just saying that as someone with vertigo!

it scares me that bad i get nervous about thinking about this but i cant help laugh:roflmao: