PDA

View Full Version : adult child of an alchoholic

vindrea
06-01-13, 14:55
Hi

My mum drank all through my childhood, and i think this could be the root of my problems - has anyone else had this? xx

Em.ma
06-01-13, 15:26
I've not had this no even though my dad has two or three cans a night but his never drunk.
It very well could be a factor as to why you suffer anxiety x
Have you see your gp?

vindrea
06-01-13, 15:27
yes but i think the realisation that this is what has caused it is coming out now, i start CBT next week but didnt link the two x

chl_hobbs
06-01-13, 16:12
Yes, my mum was the same. She started drinking a bottle of wine (sometimes two) a night from when I was 11 and mum and dad had divorced.

I was the eldest and so I took on the role as 'mum'. Mum could be violent and I chose to bare the brunt of it to protect my sisters. It was like living with Jekyll and Hyde. During the day she was lovely, and I loved her so much. But as soon as 6pm came, she changed. To this day we are the best of friends, but she still drinks, and will not get help for it.

My HA started after a routine, small camera op in my womb went wrong when somehow the surgeon tore my spleen without realising. It happened a year and a half ago. I woke up from the op in agony. I kept telling them but they assumed I was just being a bit 'sensitive' and kept telling me it was wind... It was until my BP dropped dramatically and my pulse went sky high they realised something was majorly wrong. I was ambulanced to the local main hospital, and was told Id lost so much blood I might not wake up from the 2nd major life saving op I had to have. All I could think of was my 1year (at the time)old daughter.

I developed PTSD and Health anxiety not long after. I had counselling from a consultant psychologist and from it she established that the op had triggered a major reaction in me stemming from when I was a child. She said that the 'care givers' let me down - the surgeon, doctors, nurses...my mum. And that this mistrust and being let down led to me needing control. However, health is pretty much out of my control and that even by checking etc Im not helping, Im just feeding the HA.

So, there you go! If you ever need any advice re:alcoholic parents let me know!

Charlotte xxx