PDA

View Full Version : Medication switch over

Maddis mum
07-01-13, 01:21
Hi, I am 21 days into taking 20mg prozac a d feel increased anxiety, agitation, fear, no appetite and insomnia. I was wondering if anyone else did a switch from another med to prozac? I was first put on lexapro for 6 mths and while it helped some it only helped half the time so 3 weeks ago I was told to taper down the lexapro and start the prozac. I wonder if it still takes a while to build up in my system even tho I was already on a med?

Arnie365
07-01-13, 05:39
Hi not sure about switching but the increased anxiety with fluoxetine is perfectly normal at this stage. Weeks 2-3 were the worst for me though still get the odd wave now and I'm 6 weeks in.

shygurl
07-01-13, 15:57
I was wondering the same thing. I was on another drug for about a month had to wean off that drug and now. I have been on prozac for only a week and I find I am more nervous than I was before I started prozac. I have started to be scared or afraid for what seems to me to be no apparent reason. Wondering if anyone else seems afraid and such. I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Just wish that I could feel better a lot sooner.

Maddis mum
07-01-13, 22:55
Hi shygurl. I feel the same way. I keep waking up with this adrenalin feeling running through my body. And this nervousness. I am worrying if its to activating or if it wears off.

Maddis mum
08-01-13, 11:37
Thanks Arnie, have you felt any improvement yet?

Arnie365
08-01-13, 19:14
Yes starting to thanks. Am doing therapy as well though so its hard to know which is helping etc but I am a lot better so not too worried which one it is! Side effects have certainly stopped. As I say weeks 2-3 were the worst but did have the odd morning idwake up having wave after wave of panic but this seemed to stop over Christmas.

Are you doing therapy as well? I think it's important to tackle it from both sides so it doesnt come back after I stop the meds.

Janine
08-01-13, 19:38
Yes it is normal to feel all these things, I started to feel better at five and half weeks, it was all bad but weeks four to five were particularly bad for me, I think al lot of that is because it has gone on so long as well and you think you should be feeling better and then instead I felt even worse.

It was worth it in the end even if it did not feel like it at the time.

Maddis mum
09-01-13, 01:48
That's good news Arnie, I hope it keeps getting better for you. I am now week 3 and I just got back from the do for and am freaking out. She wants me to increase my dose to 30. I don't understand. I'm on 20 now. Isn't it to soon? Also would t it just make my side effects worse. As it is my Han are shaking when I try to hold anything. I have the constant fear, agitation, anxiety, insomnia. I just do t know what to do now.

Did either of you get the shaking and trembling in your hands?

Arnie365
09-01-13, 14:35
Hi maddis mum no I didn't get shaking hands. Just the awful wave of panic.

The doctor might have been thinking 30mg all along but wanted to ease you into them. I don't think say doubling the dose equals double the side effects though. It's already starting to get into your system. 40mg is not an uncommon dosage to be given

Maddis mum
10-01-13, 06:23
Well I did it. After lots of crying this morning and panic I took the extra 10mg. Lets see what happens now lol.

Kim

Arnie365
10-01-13, 10:39
Well done! Just remember to be objective about how bad your symptoms are now. Maybe write down on a scale of 1 - 10 how bad they are and refer back to them because we have a tendency to catastrophise everything when we are anxious.

I know when I get chest pains now thy are no where near as bad as they used to be but at first when they start I panic and think oh this is awful rather than focussing on the positive that they are easing and I have them a lot less!

Negative thinking!!!!