PDA

View Full Version : Scared of Night Sweats

Eek
07-01-13, 04:15
I've had night sweats most nights now for the last few months. My doctor took it seriously and ran blood tests, checked my lymph nodes and gave me an abdo and chest CT scan the CT scan found a lump on my liver that an further ultrasound said was most likely a hemangioma. Both my doctor and an oncologist said that they didn't know what was causing my night sweats but they were probably hormonal even though my hormone blood tests came back normal as I'm 48 and they could find no other cause.

However the night sweats continue every night and wake me up every night. I am unconvinced that it's just hormonal as my hormone blood tests were normal and I don't get any hot flashes during the day (night sweats are meant to be nocturnal versions of hot flashes during menopause) also my periods are still normal and regular.
I'm also concerned that my abdo ultrasound came back with the lump was 'most likely' a hemangioma and not a definitive diagnosis as I'm not worried it could be liver cancer and that's what is causing the sweats.

The sweats aren't drenching as such, my chest, legs and back are slick with sweat but not dripping and the sheets get damp but not soaked, though they do wake me up when I get them several times a night. My room isn't hot so it's not ambient temperature causing them.

Has anyone else here had night sweats during pre menopause as their only symptom? I'm really worried my doctors have missed something.

beauty2010
07-01-13, 12:58
Hi Eek
I had them recently and everything was normal, but a few months later I had a flare up of my Graves disease (overactive thyroid). Nobody seemed concerned at the time as I didn't have any other symptoms much but they did check whether I was in menopause and I wasn't (I am 47 years old)
Sounds as if for you they have ruled out anything serious that could be causing them. I also think that liver hemangiomas are quite common - at least I have heard of them before.
B

Eek
08-01-13, 02:04
thank you for your reply. I've had my thyroid checked and that was all normal, in fact they checked a lot on my blood tests. As far as the hemangioma goes if it is that then I'm fine but they put on the report 'most likely' a hemangioma so I'm a bit worried that it might be something else like cancer and causing the night sweats.

Also I find it very hard to believe doctors when they tell me that everything is OK as I've had some bad experiences in the past of misdiagnoses of both myself and family. My son nearly died at 12 weeks as a result and my dad did die as a result so when a doctor tells you that he doesn't know what is causing the night sweats but it's probably hormones it's difficult to be reassured.