PDA

View Full Version : Meditation anyone?

rainfairy
07-01-13, 09:48
I want to start because I know it can be effective for anxiety. I want to know if anyone does meditate and how it affects them. I have looked into it but honestly have no idea where to start!

Edie
07-01-13, 13:44
Since Christmas I've started listening to some meditations at night when I go to bed, because my thoughts race and I have a lot of difficulty sleeping. I've found it's amazing. I have a 20-minute one and I haven't heard the end of it yet because I fall asleep!

Mine is an iPhone app. There are many free "lite" versions you can try out before investing in the full versions that offer a selection of meditations.

There are also many meditation podcasts that you can download and try free of charge to try out.

It works brilliantly for my purposes, and I think that any kind of relaxation exercise should help a lot with anxiety because it just slows your thoughts down. I'd recommend trying iTunes to get free ones to try out different styles before spending any money.

PanchoGoz
07-01-13, 13:55
You may want to start with mindful relaxation exercies and do some research on mindfulness. Mindfulness is very successful at stopping anxiety as it gives you a new perspective on your thoughts.

busybee09
09-01-13, 17:12
I'm into yoga and meditation but find meditation quite hard because i focus on my body too much and create images of chest pain and unable to breath etc. silly me
Anyway last night i was able to meditate lying on the floor and for a few seconds i had a weird feeling and felt like i needed to giggle!
Must say it was good.

Good luck x

Kayleigh100
09-01-13, 17:21
I bought a cheap Chakra clearing download from amazon to listen too. It cost about £3. It's slightly religious (in a archangel sort of way) but not so much so that you need to be of that religion to appreciate the benefits. I use it sometimes to help me drop off to sleep and make me focus on me and life itself.

I also bought a cheap download of Tai Chi music for £2. That helps me relax too but it's less meditiation and more clearing your mind completely; in a pretending you are on a beach/in a forest sort of relaxation.

I have meditiation or, maybe, yoga on my list of to try things.