PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight issue- Please help

willous1
07-01-13, 14:27
Hi everyone,

Im panicking really bad again. I have always had perfect eyesight then last year I went for a random eyesite test and was told one eye was fine but the other eye had a stigmatism. I had glasses which I have never needed or used. I think my eyesight was -25 whatever that means. The last few days writing has been a bit blurry when I read anything in that eye. Its hard to focus. However with my glasses im fine. But i havent needed these so my eyesite must have suddenly got worse. I feel tired now and have booked an eyetest for tommorrow. I looked on google and it could be so much. It scares me that me eye used to be perfect and now I struggle to read some stuff with it. My other eye is fine so if im going blind in the bad eye will the other be ok?

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

This is really brining my anxiety back

Edie
07-01-13, 15:18
Hi Willous,

I would guess your prescription was -0.25, which is very mild short-sight (difficulty with distance vision). Mine is -8 and I seriously know about it.

Having your eyes tested is exactly the right thing to do. Your sight may have got slightly worse and you might need to wear your glasses more often. But it doesn't sound like anything serious is going on, but your optician is the best person to check that.

Eyesight can change at any age. I've needed glasses since I was 14 and it's still getting progressively worse even though I'm 31 now. But my optician is not worried and I am not going blind :)

Some antidepressants can affect eyesight. Have you started any new meds recently?

Jae33UK
07-01-13, 15:23
Hi willous1, please don't worry, there are loads of things that can affect eyesight and most of them are just due to tiredness, lighting or something completely innocuous, it's not a sign your going blind it's a sign your human like the rest of us.

My eyesight has changed so much over the years, when I was younger I needed to wear glasses or contact lenses all the time, now I just wear glasses for reading and even then it's not all the time. When I am run down, tired or having a particularly bad depressive episode, my eyesight gets worse and I have to wear my glasses a bit more than usual but that's just down to the stress.

As Edie mentioned, some medications can effect your eyesight as well so your doing the right thing getting your eyes checked out but also let us know if your on any medication and I am sure either myself or someone else on the forum can either let you know if it's a symptom or point you in the right direction (there is a great resource on the web that lists all the prescription drugs and their side effects but I cant recall the name of it although the US version of webmd.com also has them, just don't let it take you to the UK Boots version as it doesn't have the same info)