PDA

View Full Version : How To Stop A Racing Mind?

zimizelle
07-01-13, 17:39
I have a number of issues I am desperately trying to sort out. This seems to be the reason I'm having panic attacks at the moment. My mind is racing so much I am even struggling to type this out because my mind keeps jumping from one thing to the other and I can't concentrate!

Ok, here goes...

I have overcame panic attacks in the past. During my teens I had them so frequently and they were so intense I stopped going to school. Eventually, with help from all the right places as well as some positive life changes, the attacks stopped. But anxiety remained. The problems I have now are long periods of chest pain and infrequent "night" panic attacks. I found that they only happen if I don't read my book before bed OR if my partner falls asleep before me (which is irregular).

I'm not exactly sure why it's still happening. I bought a house about a year and a half ago which is a huge project because of the amount of work it needs. It feels like it's all taking too long and obviously it's a big commitment. That could be one of the reasons. Another concern I have is my mind racing and wandering. I can't concentrate on one thing at a time. This affects my work. I am a postwoman and I have been doing the same route for 4 years. Because I have been doing it for so long I go into "auto-pilot" while I'm on delivery, giving my mind complete freedom to run wherever it fancies. The simple trick of focusing on the task at hand doesn't work. Because my job is not a task. Again, I've been doing the same thing day in, day out for 4 years so I could do it with my eyes shut (metaphorically). I tried listening to my iPod while at work but I had to stop because it's not allowed, I made too many mistakes, I kept walking into the road without looking and my customers got fed up of having to chase me down the street because I couldn't hear them shouting. I should make it clear I absolutely love my job so changing it is not an option.

Sitting at my computer trying to figure out what to do about my situation is proving to be difficult because I can't even focus on what my problem even is??

That's why I'm writing this down, it's an outlet as well as the hope that someone can give me some advise.

oldtime
07-01-13, 17:57
Long term, yoga is very good, it teaches you to empty your mind whilst concentrating on your yoga movements.

Also Tai Chi, again very spiritual and you have to concentrate on getting the moves right.

Mindfulness, this is the ultimate in calming the racing mind, but can be hard to put into practise as you keep forgetting to do it!

Having a project, eg. build a garden feature, or a new flower bed, or an airfix model. Paint a picture, learn to draw, photography etc.

Origami

Puzzles

cgrove
08-01-13, 13:32
Can I suggest that you stop trying to find things in your life that cause your anxiety? You have to live. You can't avoid life because it might make you anxious. Here is an informational website that addresses GAD and points you towards a possible cure. I can't put the URL in here so Google "Be Healthy Spot"