PDA

View Full Version : Worried about husband - Back Pain & other symptom

JoannaS
08-01-13, 10:06
Hi, I really need to get this off my chest as I've been fretting about it all night. My husband is only 26, same age as me, and since Sunday morning he's been in a lot of pain with his back. He thinks it's from going to the gym on Saturday as his back was twinging in the same place before we went. He was off work yesterday but has gone back today but says it's still really painful. However, since Saturday evening he's had another symptom, I know it sounds horrible but the only way I can describe it is as a clear liquid when he passes wind on the toilet. He hasn't had diarrohea (can't spell it!) and in between these episodes he's had normal bowel movements. At first I didn't think anything of it, I wasn't overly concerned but then he made it obvious he was worried about it last night and from then on I've felt sick to my stomach. He never worries about anything, he's so laid back but the fact he's worried about this and thinks it's something sinister has me on red alert! I was looking on his phone for his doctor's surgery number and saw that he'd Googled "back pain liver cancer" He's NEVER Googled anything like that and is always telling me off for doing it myself. Why he thinks he's got liver cancer, I don't know, surely he'd be jaundiced and have a whole load of other symptoms too.

Anyway, he's got a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning (the first one he's made himself ever!) so fingers crossed it's nothing. But I keep thinking about how back pain can be one of the later symptoms of bowel cancer and with the other symptom, I'm so worried. My dad died from bowel cancer and so did my dad's friend, who only found out he had cancer from back pain so severe he couldn't move. I know I'm over-thinking it but I just needed seek other people's views. I have to keep reminding myself that he's only 26 and was otherwise in good health.

Mark13
08-01-13, 13:50
I would have thought bowel /liver cancer chances would be very very slim at 26.

My mother had primary liver cancer at 64 and she was yellow (jaundiced).

Sounds more like IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) to me - especially the clear liquid - I had a mucus discharge with IBS. It was quite painful, I had it for 18 months.

I'm sure it'll turn out to be a minor (albeit painful, obviously) complaint.

xtremx
08-01-13, 14:05
I agree with mark13, the clear discharged is something you get with ibs and it can also lead to back pain and to add to that your husband has hurt his back at the gym.

Annie0904
08-01-13, 14:10
I agree with everyone else..I have ibs and it sounds like it.

macc noodle
08-01-13, 14:30
Hi Joanna,
I think you need to just wait until your hubby has had his consultation with the GP.
Clearly he is concerned about his symptoms but then I think that if you are normally healthy and then get something you haven't suffered before, it can be scary.
I am sure it will turn out to be far less than he is imagining.

Be brave and try not to over worry xxx

JoannaS
08-01-13, 14:47
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm feeling more positive now, especially after talking to my mum, who reassured me the same as you. He's probably just a bit constipated! But me being me, I suspect the worst.

It's worse worrying about someone you love's health than your own, I think.