PDA

View Full Version : Help to cope in Full Time Employment

Jen Sat
08-01-13, 10:59
Was after any tips with holding down a full time job whilst dealing with anxiety. I get up in the morning and start getting ready for work, then my stomach starts playing up and I talk myself out if going in. Feeling that I may need to go to the loo whilst travelling and get caught out or that I will have a funny turn in the office and bring attention to myself. The types of thoughts are endless......to the point that I stay home, luckily I am able to work from home but I know my boss will eventually get sick of me asking to do this. As the day goes on as always nothing happens, my stomach settles and I get annoyed with myself for letting anxiety take over yet again. I promise myself that however I feel in the morning I will make the journey in....sometimes I am able to do so but its becoming more often where I cant. I am so disappointed in myself when this happens as on the outside I appear 'normal' but inside I have so much doubt. Logic says that nothing is going to happen but the anxiety says 'this is the day' Thanks for reading:scared15:

panickyme
08-01-13, 12:23
Awww I know how you feel, I do the same, wish I had some good advice for you. All I can say is keep trying to fight it, the more we don't let it get the best of us, the easier it seems to become. Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

Brunette
08-01-13, 13:25
I know it's difficult but you just have to make yourself do it - the more you avoid doing the journey the worse you will get and you really don't want to lose your job. You could sometimes (although not always!) end your journey short of your destination and walk the rest of the way, that way you'll get a bit of exercise too. Or try to vary your journey. The important thing is that you do it.

Treat yourself to a muffin or something as a reward when you get to work and comfort yourself with the knowledge that you will feel better as they day goes on - and remember this will happen whether or not you go in or stay home as anxiety is always worse in the morning.

Jen Sat
08-01-13, 16:13
What you are saying makes sense and I know that, but when the feelings are so intense it is hard not to recoil from them. I am going in tomorrow without fail!! There I have said it...... and I know that come home time when I have to get back onto the tube I will start to feel odd again. Watch this space......

busybee09
08-01-13, 18:17
I used to feel like that with my old job it was horrible !:( I'd get tingly fingers and palpitations and i wouldn't say anything because i didnt want to kick up a fuss.
My new job is totally different i love it and find that it helps my anxiety so so much, but as soon as i finish i get the old depersonalistion and panic set in (which just goes to prove i can distract myself)
Do you think you enjoy your job?
x

Arnie365
08-01-13, 18:53
Mine might be different but with my anxiety I don't like being on my own so I take comfort from being surrounded by people at work.

What ive found is that by getting stuck into my work I distract myself from my anxiety and i have less symptoms which tend to be worse in the evening when I'm at home trying to relax.

simms
08-01-13, 20:47
I've been fighting my way into work since last week. I see things similar to the way brunette says, I'll feel anxiety whether I'm at home or work so I may as well go into work and get paid while being anxious. Mornings are always the hardest but once I've been there a couple of hours I'm usually okay.

I don't mean to minimise anyone's anxiety by saying this but distraction is a tried and tested method of tackling anxiety once its in a more manageable state I feel. For me I'm my own worse enemy and tend to go into a negative thought pattern when left alone with my thoughts.

Jen Sat
09-01-13, 18:24
Update: I got up, got dressed, left the house, got on the bus and made my way to my doc appointment fine. My appt was for 9.20 and they kept me waiting until gone 10 by which time I was anxious and my stomach started to act up. I was in turmoil about whether I should continue onto work feeling the way I did and I stood in the street having this internal battle with myself. Needless to say I came home and continued to work from there. I got really mad with myself as whilst out I felt that I desperately needed the toilet and when I got home could I go??? Of course not, foiled again. If I was seen on time I would not have had time to get anxious I think. Tomorrow will be another battle, I may take a propranolol before leaving....arghhhh

unspoken
10-01-13, 20:10
Hi Jen. I have a similar problem with waiting for things like doctors appointments, it makes me increasingly anxious.

I agree with simms above who says that distraction really helps with anxiety. I do find that if I can keep focused at work it does help me. However, if I feel overwhelmed by having too many tasks to do, or too much pressure from other people, it is counter productive and I feel worse. Try to make your office as comfortable as possible. I've put up photos of parks and other places that I go to relax on the wall behind my desk as it gives me something to look at when I'm feeling bad. If you struggle with getting the tube to work (I find the tube makes me feel anxious) see if you can travel in a bit later when it's less crowded or if you can find a route with more walking involved. I am lucky enough to be local enough that I can walk to work. I found public transport in the rush hour to be really stressful. Does your boss know about your problems? Are they understanding?

Jen Sat
12-01-13, 11:26
Thanks for your support. I havent really spoken to my boss about it as it is a male dominated company and dont want to be seen as the fickle female, he already says that he can see that I am a worrier. I managed to get to the office Thurs/Fri and listened to Dr Weekes on my MP3 in my way in which helped a lot. The thought of doing a full week seems unbearable so if I try to take it one day at a time, I think I will handle it better. I did have moments when I felt overwhelmed an unsure of myself, I challenged the feelings and managed to complete the day in spite of the churning stomach and dizzyness. I even managed to go to the supermarket on my own for a big shop last night feeling this way.

jayjoe18
12-01-13, 15:15
Jen Sat what you have described is exactly what I'm going through and it's such a relief for me to read this knowing I'm not alone! I seem to read through the forums and find most people have different anxiety symptoms but I've not really come across this one. Maybe it's embarrassing for people to talk about? I don't know, but this side effect of anxiety is the worst one for me and it's stopped me from finishing College and going onto Uni. Of course I have other symptoms and I know this isn't my only problem but it's my worst one. I feel I could do anything if I didn't have those feelings in my stomach and doubts that I'd have an accident or not make it to the loo. I too was at the Doctors this Thursday, very similar to yourself I had an appointment for 9:40am but was kept waiting until gone 10:00am and as time went on I felt I couldn't wait any longer and couldn't control those thoughts of "what if I have an accident?".
Once I was called in though all those feelings went away as I knew my appointment would only be 5-10 minutes and I'd be free to go home. Waiting rooms, meetings or appointments and travelling for me are the worst because I feel I can't escape and that brings on the feelings of needing the loo and what I hate most like you said is the moment you have the opportunity to use the loo you don't need it! Once I've been able to escape what's making me nervous I no longer need the toilet even though 5 minutes before I'd feel that desperate for the toilet I'd feel sick with worry! I definitely understand what you mean about trying to control the anxiety when your stomach feels so bad, it's practically impossible for me and when your in the middle of such a panic all logic goes out the window and it's hard to concentrate on anything else. I don't know how to overcome, I'm due to start CBT but I don't know how to bring up this topic without it being really embarrassing. Do you take any sort of medication for your anxiety? I just wonder if medication would settle the physical symptoms so we could concentrate more on tackling the anxiety? Sorry for rambling & providing no advice or help, it's just nice to share this with someone! x

Jen Sat
16-01-13, 16:39
Thanks Jay, I read your reply with a smile on my face. We are very much on the same page. I see a counsellor once a month and to be honest all pride goes out the window when I am there as I am so desperate for help. I do not feel embarrassed, its not like its not something we all do, its natural, just that we have the urge more often and we know why.:blush:. Everything I do is centred around the 'urge', is it going to show up. I can tell you all the pit stops on my way to work 'just in case'. I have even considered taking an extra pair of trousers just in case 'it happens'. The thing is it has never happened, but I am consumed by it. Like you said it is more prevalent when I am stuck somewhere that there is no way out without bringing attention to myself i.e tube, meeting. I take Propranolol when my anxiety is unbearable and that takes the edge off and gives me some respite. However, I dont like taking tablets and like to be in control which all adds more stress....what are we like?:wacko: