PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations

Bonnibelle
08-01-13, 11:31
I had an ECG yesterday which was fine. I start Dosulepin 11 days ago and my GP wanted to check my heart was ok as it can cause heart problems:ohmy:

I have been suffering from palpatations recently, some days none, then other days quite a few. I woke at 4am this morning having one which alarmed me, it was over quickly but scared me alot. All morning I have been on edge and had quite a few where they kind of pulse in my throat too. My GP said they are nothing to worry about but I can't help but worry as this medication can affect the heart.

Can anyone reassure me?:weep:

---------- Post added at 11:31 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

Sorry I realised there is a section for palpitations, feel free to move my post admin.

paula lynne
08-01-13, 12:21
Hi Pearl x
We have pulses all over our body at all times, its just in an anxiety state, we notice them more. Im sure your Gp wouldnt have prescribed the med if they thought it would cause you problems, so they must think the benefit outweighs the risk?

Read all about palpatations in the left hand column under Problems/Issues.

They wont hurt you, but focusing on them makes anxiety worse. I have them everyday. Try and take your mind off them and keep busy. x

panickyme
08-01-13, 12:32
Aww Pearl, I know those palps are uncomfortable, but you were checked, just keep telling yourself that. Say "I was checked, I am alright" keep positive, don't let those feelings hold you back, they will pass. It's true the more you focus on them, the more they come. Try to relax, you will be alright. (I know it is hard when we believe in a fear) but you can do it. Hope you feel better. :hugs:

Bonnibelle
08-01-13, 12:51
Thank you so much Paula.

They are helping so I don't want to come off them. They are an older anti depressant that they are advised not to prescribe anymore due to its toxicity in overdose but they also have affects on the heart, that is why he wanted to do the ECG.

xx

Hi Pearl x
We have pulses all over our body at all times, its just in an anxiety state, we notice them more. Im sure your Gp wouldnt have prescribed the med if they thought it would cause you problems, so they must think the benefit outweighs the risk?

Read all about palpatations in the left hand column under Problems/Issues.

They wont hurt you, but focusing on them makes anxiety worse. I have them everyday. Try and take your mind off them and keep busy. x

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

Thank you Panickyme.

It is my first day alone in 6 weeks, the children have just gone back after Christmas. I suffer with social anxiety and agoraphobia in recent months after my brother attacked me so I had to go on medication as my anxiety was so severe since that day. I am just worried they will make me ill, heart wise. I know I should feel relaxed as my ECG was normal. I guess I just needed to hear that palpitations are harmless.

:)
Aww Pearl, I know those palps are uncomfortable, but you were checked, just keep telling yourself that. Say "I was checked, I am alright" keep positive, don't let those feelings hold you back, they will pass. It's true the more you focus on them, the more they come. Try to relax, you will be alright. (I know it is hard when we believe in a fear) but you can do it. Hope you feel better. :hugs: