PDA

View Full Version : Off for hypnotheraphy for my choking fear

claire_2910
08-01-13, 13:59
Hello everyone,

Had a bad week with anxiety/stress. I have had a fear of choking on food fear of swallowing for around 3 months. It got slightly better, although still wasn't back to normal then I had a huge dip this week. So the things I could eat, now I can't. I am back to basics. I find soups/soft foods easier. However, worried of having an unhealthy diet so I'm going to make homemade veg soup and smoothies.

I got really depressed this week couldn't stop crying, frustrated with myself that I couldn't be "normal" and wolf my food down. My parents were concerned so offered to pay for hypnotherapy for me. I am on my way now, wish me luck I went once before it was good it was 3hrs long.

Afterwards I am going for a meal out with friends. I will be having soup. My councillor told me to not avoid foods. However, i have not avoided foods for 3 months and tried steak/beef all tough food. They sent me into a horrible anxiety manic. I just kept going round in circles.

Now I am having small portions. Last night i had rice, chicken and chips on a sideplate (baby portion) I finished it though and felt pleased.

Any advice? Want to get back to normal. FAT FOODS and YUMMY foods, I loooove to cook! :blush::)

Dazza123
08-01-13, 23:57
I find it diffiuclt to reply to this thread because I have the same problem as you but its a lot worse at present, and I cant even look at the C word you have written because it freaks me out. Im currently seeing a Psychiatrist, and am awaiting CBT with a Psychologist for this, as well as ENT at the hospital and having Speech therapy to relearn how to swallow.

The only food I feel safe(ish) with is poached egg hidden inside 2 pieces of toast, cut into 4 squares and eaten over the period of about 20 minutes.

I am glad your symptoms are not this bad as yet and really hope the hypnotherapy works for you. I considered it, but the lady I went to see told me id need 12 1 hour sessions, at £60 per session, without even knowing what my main problems were, so I cancelled my appointments with her and went back to my doctors for help.

I have no advice to give, but if the hypnotherapy doesnt work please seek alternative help, I didnt which is why I am in my current state, I should have gotten help a lot sooner, but I just adjusted my life to live with this problem, and that was a huge mistake.

Good luck!! :yesyes:

Col
09-01-13, 10:10
Ohhh please let us know how u get on with hypno,I've considerd this for all my anxiety/ panic issues.

X

smiths
09-01-13, 15:29
hi i have just posted about swallowing issues , im on soups etc atm , pleae let us know how you got on , anyone that has had similar issues would love to hear from you all please feel free to pm me :)