PDA

View Full Version : Sudden flare up

99zardoz
08-01-13, 16:36
Hi

I have had mild anxiety for a few years, and havent used any medication until now. I have got by with relaxation/meditation and sometimes Valerian.

Since going back to work I have had a flare up worse than ever before, and this morning had some thoughts about suicide and then ended up breaking down crying and telling my wife about it.

I went to the doctors after that and was prescribed some Oxzempam for when it becomes unmanageable and told to come back in a week. No mention of signing me off but I didnt ask for it so thats fine,although time off would be nice but the problem will be here when I get back.

I went into work and told my employer,who was supportive and said take a couple of days off (again didnt ask for it so that was nice). They did say why dont you ask the doctor to sign you off, but I thought the doc would have done this if it was warranted didnt think it was something I could request. Employer also said they could take me off the more stressful projects for a bit.

I have read CBT for Dummies and also Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, and both helped a bit in the past.

Just thought I would see if anyone had any hints and tips, and share my particular burden. Just writing it down has helped a little bit.

Jonathan

jackie13
08-01-13, 17:04
Hi hun

Sorry to hear that you are not too good at the moment.

The thoughts you are having are horrible, I have experienced them many a time, however the fact that you got upset and confessed to your partner means that you will not act on them, have a look at CBTPanic4 you can download from here, there is a section on Intrusive Thoughts and its brilliant, you need to practise though:)

Also look at vitamins B and Omega 3 are good for the mind.

My hubby has been involved with my anxiety/panic/depression for 5 years (no I have not been ill for 5 years:) try and get your partner involved and dont bottle any thing up.

PM me if you need a chat.

Jackie x

Sparkle1984
08-01-13, 19:13
Hi Jonathan,

Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad.

You can still call your doctor's surgery and ask to be signed off. When I first got help for my anxiety in August last year, the doctor did offer to sign me off for a week, but I said no, thinking that I would be OK. I started my medication on the same day (Friday evening), and I thought I would be OK by the time I went to work on Monday. However, I woke up on Monday morning feeling really bad with side effects from citalopram, so I changed my mind and asked to be signed off. They were fine about it. I felt a lot better by the time I went back to work the following week, so I was glad I took the time off to get better.

I have some tips about coping with anxiety in my forum signature below. :)

99zardoz
08-01-13, 19:54
Thanks for your kind replies. It is re-assumring to know I am not the only one struggling with this stuff.

Damn those caveman reflexes :mad:

At the moment I find it difficult to handle anything at work that I dont know how to do immediately....its like I panic if I have to solve a new problem, even though I am normally good at that kind of thing. My boss was pretty insistent I take at least 2 days off so I wont go until until the day after tomorrow, but then I just have to force myself to do it.

If I dont push through the fear it will own me.