PDA

View Full Version : Neurology worries

Gregg210
08-01-13, 22:36
Greetings everyone.

I'm glad and relieved to be here: I hope we can help and support one another. I'm Gregg from Los Angeles. The link I saw said "UK" so I assume I am addressing folks who live in the UK.

Just a little one time history:

I am a lifelong sufferer of depression, ocd, anxiety, hypochondria, panic, overeating, etc.

I am 50 years old and in good health (I hope). I carry too much weight but am in the process of losing it with work-outs and a new food plan.

In 1987, I was convinced that I had herpes because I dated a girl who never told me she had it until I saw the medication in her cabinet. I melted down and was despondent with worry for months. I never had herpes.

In 1995, I had unprotected sex and was convinced I had AIDS. I was despondent for months. I didn't have aids.

In 1997, I had the same episode with AIDS. I didn't have it.

in 1998, I had a "foot-drop" symptom on my right foot and it came out of nowhere. The neurologist told me that I had a pinched nerve in the knee area that was causing it, but I was still convinced that I had ALS. I was fired as a schoolteacher because of my behavior when I went through the ALS scare. I was often in the school library researching ALS while I should have been teaching my class. I left my class unattended a few times because I was in such a frenzy. Even after the neurologist told me I didn't have ALS and the symptom went away, I still thought I had ALS. the thought eventually gave way to another worry.

In 1999, I thought I had AIDS after having sex again. I convinced the girl to get tested and when she sent me her clean bill of health, I still thought I had AIDS. I didn't have AIDS.

in 2007, I thought I had herpes from dating a girl with herpes. I was despondent for months. I didn't have herpes.

Every time I have a blood test for anything over the years, I am despondent for the following few months because I feel certain that the test gave me aids or another infection.

Last month, December, 2012, my memory was off and I was tired all the time and was convinced that I had Alzheimers. I went to the neurologist and he said I was fine. He told me that I should return to my sleep doctor for my sleep apnea and maybe get an adjustment or new sleep equipment. I returned to the sleep doctor, he gave me all new sleep equipment (No more leaks) and my sleep improved and my memory and energy returned. I never had Alzheimers.

My OCD, depression, and anxiety always magnifies all my health issues.

Finally, last week, I noticed that my right hand had a very, very slight tremor. I was panicked. I showed several of my friends and my parents and they didn't notice the tremor when I held out my hands or when they were at rest. I could also make the fingers on my right hand twitch and tremor when I held them in very awkward positions. Even though I artificially created those tremors, they still scared the hell out of me and convinced me that I have Parkinsons. I also noticed that the same right hand (The thumb) twitched a little when I set it down to rest after trying to force tremors out of it. It has not done that since those two episodes and I no longer try to force my fingers into tremors. I went to my parents tonight and put their fingers in the same awkward postures and their fingers trembled a little too. So I felt better about that. My mom also told me that she has a familial tremor for many, many years. My right hand falls asleep (Numb and tingling sometimes) but my doctor says it's due to my decades old cervical disc issues.

I was embarrassed to return to neurologist a month later, so I instead went to see my chiropractor in Los Angeles. He has 35 years experience and is probably more knowledgeable than most MD's I have seen. I told him about the thumb twitch/tremor and everything else. He didn't think much of it and blamed it on my neck issues, anxiety, stress, etc. I went to see him again yesterday when I was in a panic attack over the same issue and he said the same thing.

It's all very upsetting. Actually crippling. I worry so much that all I can do is online research to further worry myself and hourly exams to see if my fingers and are doing anything. I feel at a wits end.

Those are all my symptoms and history. I don't think I left anything out. (Back surgery in 1992)

Thank you,

Gregg....

nomorepanic
08-01-13, 22:47
Hi Gregg210

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Baggs
08-01-13, 23:19
Welcome to the site. I hope you find as much help as I have. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

Mark13
09-01-13, 01:11
Hi Gregg and welcome to the forum.

Mark