PDA

View Full Version : anx levels at all time high

smiths
09-01-13, 15:22
hi all i have posted a couple of times in the last few weeks about my throat issues im a a point now where i dont want to eat as i fear i wont swallow , just sticking to soups etc , i hate it when i put food in my mouth it feels like my throat is closing up , got docs later this afternoon very anx , anyone had similar thing ? will it go ? or am i stuck with it ? :(

Dazza123
09-01-13, 15:56
You have a swallowing anxiety. I have had mine since March. I was prescribed 6mg diazepam daily, after about 6 weeks I felt a little better, and started to eat a little more than soup, but with a drink of water each time I swallowed. I then learned to live this way, when I should have gone back to the doctors.

Few months ago I had difficulty swallowing my medication, and from that day I have gotten much worse, I am on diazepam, antipsychotics (low dose) and am seeing a Psychiatrist, ENT at hospital, speech therapist, and awaiting CBT with a Psychologist.

All of this is because I let it go on for too long.

You need your doctor to help you nip it in the bud, because if you dont you will end up as bad as I have gotten.

Your anxiety is making your throat tense which is why you feel you cant swallow, you need to learn some relaxation tecniques and practice them before food. You also need to realise that if there definitely isnt a physical problem then its all anxiety based, and nothing is really going to hurt you. I keep telling myself this, its hard to take in, but its true, if you can swallow soup, you can swallow food.

Just take it easy, eat slowly, fully chew your food when you are ready to eat solid foods again, and as long as you are relaxed you will be able to swallow it.

Hope your doctors can help you get sorted, but do try to remember, its just anxiety, and the reality is you will be ok :hugs:

smiths
09-01-13, 16:00
thanks for your reply will let you know how i get on at docs , i cant go on like this , i love my food :( lol

Dazza123
09-01-13, 16:04
I love Indian takeaways, especially a nice hot Chicken Vindaloo, and I havent been able to have one for months and months :doh: that will be my first meal when I am better!

Good luck, be firm and get it sorted, will look in later to see how you got on :yesyes:

smiths
09-01-13, 18:04
well ive been , doc didnt check my throat at all , just said yeah its all anxiety and put me back on citalopram ( been off them 2 years ) and said to go back in a month :(

Dazza123
09-01-13, 18:31
Weirdly my throat has never been checked either, you'd think it's the first place to check. Do you do well with antidepressants? I don't, they make me worse, but if you can tolerate them then they probably will help you quite a lot, hopefully!

smiths
09-01-13, 18:43
they helped me before , i was really bad and i found they helped me thru it
so we shall see :) , whereabouts in wales you from, im half welsh lol :)

Dazza123
09-01-13, 19:12
Which half of you is Welsh? :D

I'm in Cardiff.

Well if they helped before then it's a good sign isn't it, let's hope they have the same effect this time!

smiths
09-01-13, 19:24
the top half lol :)
my family live in ebbw vale :)
i hope your throat is better soon :)

Dazza123
09-01-13, 19:31
Ive been there, it was very cold.

I hope you get better soon too, we will get there in the end I guess :yesyes:

smiths
09-01-13, 19:37
yeah i hope so :) , message me anytime if you want a chat :)

Dazza123
09-01-13, 21:57
If I discover a magic cure I will give you a shout ok :D