PDA

View Full Version : Natural remedies for anxious/intrusive thoughts?

MrsStobe13
09-01-13, 15:42
hey all,
Having a really bad day here. Feel really tense and like heart is about to suddenly start racing. For months I've had intrusive thoughts of stabbing my fiancé and at times I feel like I really might do something I'll regret (even though I know I won't, it's just the intrusive thoughts). Sometimes it takes every bit of strength to stop myself going and grabbing a knife but I know that if I did I'd feel so upset and angry with myself I'd be more of a risk to myself than I would to anyone else.

I know that if I could just feel happier and more relaxed they'd go but at the moment I'm under so much stress I'm really struggling. I'm getting married in May so I'm trying to lose weight there, my partner's Nan died unexpectedly on 27th December so we've got the funeral next week and I've just found out a number of our wedding invitations have got lost in the post. To top that off, a number of bits and bobs around my home need replacing including a lead on our pond pump which has been severed, so there's financial worries too.

This has probably come up before, but has anyone found anything natural which helps? I'e been given Prozac and Citralopram before in my life but I found they both came with so many side effects I ended up taking myself off them. I had quite a lot of joy with St John's Wort but I'm on the contraceptive (POP) pill so I can't take it anymore. I exercise everyday and eat a balanced diet with no takeaway or convenience foods so I don't think it's a vitamin problem.

Does anyone have any success stories to share?

Thanks all

Helen

busybee09
09-01-13, 16:43
Hi Helen,

PLEASE don't stab your husband! I'm also into natural therapies like yoga, massage , accupuncture etc.

Maybe if you see a life coach or counsellor where you can express all of your feelings as it sounds quite serious that you have to resist from picking up a knife.

Hope this helps, see whats on in your local area. Thankfully here we have a variety of natural health places and a free counselling/therapy unit.

Natt x

MrsStobe13
09-01-13, 17:21
Hi Natt,
Trust me, I have no desire to stab my other half! I can't help wondering if my POP is to blame slightly too as they seem to get worse when I'm on it, but it's one of a few options open to me and I'm not for anything invasive! I'e had intrusive thoughts before and they do seem to be linked to stress anf anxiety. Unfortunately, my Mum used to give me the tough-love treatment and tell me to snap out of it then sit me down to a board game or something and snap me back to the real world if I got myself worked up, my fiancé tries to soothe me and reassure me and I guess that's not always for the best as I dwell on things more.

I think counselling might help, I talk to my fiancé quite a lot but at the moment with the funeral coming up he's not particularly strong either. I've tried Rescue Remedy which was somewhat effective but I only have the original ones and to be frank they are grim :(.

I know there are a few accupuncture clinics around but it's probably not something I can afford. I think today might just be a bad day as I'm normally far more in control.

Thanks again

Helen

gemtree
10-01-13, 00:06
Currently I take St Johns Wort, multivitamin and Omega 3. I go on the treadmill (albeit not very fast lol) I find it really helps if my mind is racing it will calm after even 5-10 minutes of a fast trot/walk.

Serenitie
10-01-13, 01:01
I am a huge advocate of natural remedies, but in all honesty, it sounds like the nature and severity of the intrusive thoughts and impulses that you are experiencing require professional assessment and treatment.

These intrusive thoughts are not fleeting as you report you have experienced them for several months, further exacerbated by stress. I advise an urgent GP appointment to discuss medication and therapy options to suit your needs.

MrsStobe13
11-01-13, 19:46
Gemtree, I agree SJW did wonders for me but I know it counteracts with the pill so it's non negotiable for me now. Much to my annoyance I never had these symptoms on the combined pill but I'm not allowed it anymore. Not tried Omega 3 so that may be a good course of action. Exercise does help, I swim 500m 3 times a week with my Dad but he has a cold at the moment and I panic in the pool on my own :-(

Serenitie, most days they're not there, but they can appear very suddenly under stress, pressure tiredness, coldness etc. I know I definitely wouldn't do them, crikey I had a mega bout Wednesday evening with them, my heart was racing and I was shaking like a leaf and couldn't work out what was wrong with me. Hubby to be stuck a top on me and despite being cold I cheered up quite quickly. I do firmly believe they're related to my POP pill, but they're the most reliable non-invasive option open to me now, so I've got to battle on as best as I can. I also find if I have a nap when they come on they tend to take a hint. Looking at some of the other treatments available I'm thinking about looking into CBT as whenever I get them I'm full of "what if" and certainly not "I'm going to", probably some reassurance there!

Bill
12-01-13, 04:24
I feel what you could really do with is learning a relaxation technique that you can use wherever you are when anxiety and these intrusive thoughts strike. It doesn't sound much but learning how to keep calm is more effective than we might think.

The reason is that anxiety symptoms and intrusive thoughts thrive on the fuel we give it which is tension. When we're tense, the thoughts can feel much more powerful because of the way tension makes our body feel. When we're tense, all our muscles tense up, our breathing becomes rapid, we sweat, tremble, adrenalin rushes etc. All these feelings are normal and long ago would have helped us fight or run away from a lion. However, no lions are in our homes normally! but when we tense up, it makes us feel like the lion is there right in front us. The thoughts are made to feel more real because of the way our mind is making our body react to the intrusive thoughts.

Therefore, if we learn a simple relaxation technique, the thoughts become less real, less frightening and in that way the thoughts don't trouble us as much because we're then more able to dismiss them.

As for possible relaxation techniques, there are many but very simple techniques are learning deep breathing exercises or the paper bag method. Ideally, I'd suggest go to the bathroom and allow yourself time to use a method, to give yourself a time out before you go back to where you were. Give your mind a chance to relax and you'll find it'll help especially until things settle down after all the stresses have eased that you're experiencing at the moment.

The power of relaxation is very much overlooked because I don't think we realise there's more beneath the surface than just the obvious of trying to keep calm under pressure. It's something I've learnt from a very good nhs therapist.

Sparkle1984
12-01-13, 11:12
How come your doctor won't allow you to have the combined pill any more? Is there a medical reason for that?

Emphyrio
13-01-13, 02:06
Hello,
I experience the exact same issue as you do - the fear that somehow I may do something that I don't want to do, like harm myself or someone close to me. Its a classic harm OCD thought and its more common than you think.

Anyway, like you I'm off antidepressants at the moment because of the side effects. However, there is still a lot you can do to help. A lot of the time, I experience the thoughts more when I feel tense, so finding ways to reduce physical anxiety symptoms can help. For instance, exercise can help, as can ensuring you get around 8 hours sleep each night. Limit caffeine if you can and try some naturally sedating teas like chamomile and valerian (you can get the latter from holland and barrett). Eat regular meals to avoid wildly fluctuating blood sugar levels. And magnesium (preferably glycinate or taurate) can help.

However, the best way of managing such thoughts is through CBT techniques. Pick up a good ocd book like the "imp of the mind" which details strategies you can use to lessen the effect of violent intrusive thoughts.