PDA

View Full Version : Breathing Techniques for Relaxation

Clare
29-08-06, 23:47
Breathing techniques are important in inducing relaxation and reducing stress, as well as ensuring good oxygen supply and re-energizing the body and mind.
The key principles of breathing techniques are based on the fact that oxygen is vital for energy production and therefore the way you breathe affects your energy energy levels. If your breathing is too shallow, you will not optain all the oxygen you need for the optimum production of energy. If you over-breathe, you may exhale too much carbon dioxide, which can result in weakness, pins and needless, shakiness, fatigue, panic and anxiety, many of which are common symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD).
To help you recognise what normal breathing feels like, lie comfortably and rest your hands on your upper chest. Be aware of the rise and fall of your chest as you inhale and exhale. Imagine the flame of a candle in front of your face and breathe gently so that it hardly flickers. Place your hands on your lower ribcage so that your fingertips are just touching when you have exhaled. As you gently breathe in, notice how your ribcage moves upwards and outwards. Be aware of your breathing on a daily basis while you are doing different activities, and monitor any changes. It is easy for bad breathing habits to return. Try to develop a slow, calm breathing rhythm that has a slight pause after each exhalation. When you have inhaled as much as you can, comfortably and immediately start to exhale and empty your lungs of as much air as possible. It will help you establish a breathing rhythm if you slowly count up to three while inhaling and counting up to four when exhaling.
Once you have developed a better understanding of your norml daily breathing techniques, try some of the following relaxation techniques. It can be difficult for individuals with BPD to enter a state of relaxation, but wth practice the following techniques may be an important aspect of reducing stress and anxiety, as well as helping the individual through distressing situations. Even reading the following techniques can be very relaxing, so if they can be mastered physically as well, then the mind and body will be able to experience a state of peace and tranquility.

Deep Breathing

Lie on your back.
Breathe evenly and gently, focusing your attention on the movement of your stomach.
As you begin to breathe in, allow your stomach to rise in order to bring air into the lower half of your lungs.
As the upper halves of your lungs begin to fill with air, your chest begins to rise and your stomach begins to lower.
Don't tire yourself.
Continue for ten breaths.
The exhalation will be longer than the inhalation.

Follow the Breath

Sit cross-legged on the floor.
Begin to inhale gently and normally from the stomach, aware the "I am inhaling normally."
Exhale in awareness that "I am inhaling normally."
Continue for three breaths.
On the fourth breath, extend the inhalation, aware that "I am breathing in a long inhalation."
Exhale in awareness that "I am breathing out a long exhalation."
Continue for three breaths.
Follow your breath carefully, aware of every movement of your stomach and lungs.
Follow the entrance and exit for air.
Be aware that "I am inhaling and following the inhalation from its beginning to its end. I am exhaling and following the exhalation from its beginning to its end."
Continue for twenty breaths.
Return to normal breathing.
After five minutes, repeat the exercise.

Counting your Breath

Sit cross-legged on the floor
As you inhale, be aware that "I am inhaling, 1."
When you exhale, be aware that "I am exhaling, 1."
Remember to breathe from the stomach.
Continue on up to ten.
Return to one.
Whenever you lose count return to one.
Continue this until you feel relaxed.

Breathing to Quiet the Mind and Body

Sit cross-legged on the floor or lie flat on the floor.
Follow your breath.
When your mind and body are quiet, continue to inhale and exhale very lightly.
Be aware that "I am breathing in and making the mind and body light and peaceful. I am

Wannabeloved85
30-08-06, 15:03
Clare thankyou soooo much for that!!! its my breathing thats all screwed up!