PDA

View Full Version : New Panic Symptoms Appearing

Marcoh
09-01-13, 22:17
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, but unfortunately not new to panic attacks (have suffered from them for years:weep:), recently though I have been suffering from a new and rather scary set of symptoms, which includes severe bloating of the stomach and a feeling that my tongue starts freezing or going stiff (like it is going to stop working or become paralysed), this all happens with my usual panic attack symptoms of rapid heartbeat, head pressure, shallow breathing, tingling hands and arms and general feelings of depersonalization and like I'm going to pass out. It almost feels like I'm going to have a stroke where my tongue will completely stop working and I find myself frantically curling, rolling my tongue to prevent this!! My doctor says it's part of the panic disorder, but as it is only recent it has me feeling really frightened and unassured. My question is have any of you experienced these tongue feelings and do they seem part of the symptoms of panic attacks. Thanks in advance for any help / insight on this problem as it has got me really worried.

Cheers,

Mark.

Arnie365
10-01-13, 05:40
Hi mark not had these two myself but my symptoms do change an evolve so if your doctor has said it's related trust them.

Baggs
10-01-13, 08:03
Welcome to the site. I hope you find as much help as I have. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

Marcoh
10-01-13, 10:40
Thanks for the support guys, it is much appreciated:)

emmasaurus
10-01-13, 14:27
Oh, thank god someone else experiences this! It's utterly terrifying, I know. I feel it in my jaw, too - as if it's freezing/locking and I'm losing the ability to move it. I was going to ask my GP if it's panic-related when I see him next week (though I'm almost certain he'll say it is; that it has something to do with tension. Muscles. Something like that). I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It's almost unbearable.

Just a thought - do you suffer from IBS? I've been told that's probably behind the bloating. Does it leave you feeling as though you can't take a proper, full breath?

Marcoh
10-01-13, 14:47
Oh, thank god someone else experiences this! It's utterly terrifying, I know. I feel it in my jaw, too - as if it's freezing/locking and I'm losing the ability to move it. I was going to ask my GP if it's panic-related when I see him next week (though I'm almost certain he'll say it is; that it has something to do with tension. Muscles. Something like that). I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It's almost unbearable.

Just a thought - do you suffer from IBS? I've been told that's probably behind the bloating. Does it leave you feeling as though you can't take a proper, full breath?

Hi thanks for the reply and kind words:) Yeah I do have IBS and the bloating really distends my stomach and makes breathing difficult. Like you say I think tension may also cause some of it as my neck and jaw do tense up during an attack (and my dentist says I'm a grinder), and this may extend to my tongue making it feel stiff and frozen (as I said it feels like it will seize up or like I'm going to lose the power in it, like having a stroke!!). My doctor has put me on Lansoprazole for the IBS and I have just weaned off Cipralex tablets (10 mg) and feel like going back on them. Thanks again and I'll let you know if the Lansoprazole tablets make any difference:shrug:. Thanks again for the replys and hope you get some answers from your Doctor.

spottitchsam
10-01-13, 14:50
marcoh welcome.you will find this site and the people on it really helpful.the people on here are great.I have only been on here since the weekend but I'm truly thankful to everyone.all the best and have a good afternoon.x

Marcoh
10-01-13, 14:59
marcoh welcome.you will find this site and the people on it really helpful.the people on here are great.I have only been on here since the weekend but I'm truly thankful to everyone.all the best and have a good afternoon.x

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts, much appreciated:)

VickyW
11-01-13, 23:36
Hi Marcoh I am new too (and again sadly not new to panic attacks) - I have the bloated feelings sometimes and my stomach can feel almost rock hard. What I do find is helpful is, if you can manage to lie on you side (I know it can be hard) is to take some body moisturiser (maybe lavender smelling) and stroke this up and down your belly in a calming manner. It can make you sit up and burp - but this really helps me (hope that doesn't sound odd).

Marcoh
12-01-13, 12:29
Hi Marcoh I am new too (and again sadly not new to panic attacks) - I have the bloated feelings sometimes and my stomach can feel almost rock hard. What I do find is helpful is, if you can manage to lie on you side (I know it can be hard) is to take some body moisturiser (maybe lavender smelling) and stroke this up and down your belly in a calming manner. It can make you sit up and burp - but this really helps me (hope that doesn't sound odd).

Not at all, I'll give that a go, thanks any help is always much appreciated:).