PDA

View Full Version : OCD Self Help Principles

Clare
29-08-06, 23:55
I found this on a website (as my hubby suffers from OCD)

PRINCIPLE 1: YOU MUST CHOOSE WHETHER YOU WANT TO BE AN ACTIVE PARTICIPANT IN SOCIETY OR BE ISOLATED FROM SOCIETY.

Obsessive-compulsive symptoms, when allowed to run rampant in your mind, will isolate you from the world around you. To satisfy those compulsions it will require distance (first physically and subsequently mentally) from people. You must decide which way you will go: will you let OCD rule your life and cause you to give up relationships with family and friends, or will you work at making a happy, healthy and fruitful life for your family and yourself?

If you have chosen to enjoy the world around you and live a full life, use the following principles as weapons in your arsenal in this battle against OCD.

PRINCIPLE 2: TREAT YOUR OCD AS AN OPPONENT TO YOUR PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS IN LIFE AND FIGHT AGAINST IT DAILY.

The above decision within yourself to become a happy, healthy, interactive person is critically important because it will affect your attitude toward each and every battle with OCD you will encounter in your lifetime. OCD is an opponent to your goal and reminding yourself of this commitment will give you strength and a sense of overall purpose when facing a compulsion that you do not want to resist. You need to stand your ground and fight OCD as it opposes you in your daily activities.

Recognize that giving in to your compulsions never makes your OCD better and gives fuel to the fire. When faced with the urge to act out a compulsion, OC'ers MUST learn to reason within themselves the following:

"If I do not engage in compulsive rituals, no one will die or be harmed. Whatever "disasters" I am trying to prevent has not killed me yet and will not kill me an hour from now. However, if I give in to my compulsive rituals, OCD is going to continue to dominate my life and keep me from happiness. I WILL NOT let it have victory over me."

This line of reasoning is very effective for many patients. Experiment a little and discover what works best for you. Realize in the beginning that you will probably have to start very small. Give up washing your hands and/or check or reduce the amount of time you wash and/or check and work up to overcoming bigger anxieties at you own pace. Don't let other people push you too much, but remember that old saying, "No pain, no gain." Every victory you achieve will bring you that much closer to your goal and will give you a sense of accomplishment and regained control over your own life.

PRINCIPLE 3: TAKE A CHANCE AND START TO TRUST PEOPLE AGAIN.

Many with OCD have symptoms that result in walls of doubt between themselves and people with whom they come into daily contact. For example, the washer who would become terrified if a stranger would come up to and touch her babies is "convinced" that others are more careless about the presence of dirt or germs on their hands. Fact is, most family members, friends and fellow employees would not touch our babies or walk on our carpets if they thought that something harmful was on their hands or shoes. True, your definition of what is harmful may be different from theirs, but this is where you must put the principle into practice. Being a participant in society involves trusting the people around you to a reasonable extent. If you have lost the ability to judge what is reasonable trust, remember how you acted toward people before developing OCD, or take notes from a friend you respect in a similar role as yourself (i.e., another mother, father, student, business person, etc.).

Trusting other people is probably one of the most difficult things someone with OCD needs to do. It involves giving up control to someone else, and control is to a great extent what OCD is all about. Start small and work up to more difficult matters. If you feel compelled to clean excessively after a guest has been in your home, try to delay responding to this urge. Remind yourself of your need to be more trusting of people. If you must clean or wash, keep it to the bare minim

mum2four
30-08-06, 22:58
PRINCIPLE 1: YOU MUST CHOOSE WHETHER YOU WANT TO BE AN ACTIVE PARTICIPANT IN SOCIETY OR BE ISOLATED FROM SOCIETY.

I been suffering with OCD syptoms since I was very young I have the fear of hurting my self of other and one of my first things I can remember is sitting under a table at about 8y banging my head under the desk for fear attacking the teacher or student's. These fears have slowly taken over my life with no answer as to why I'm always scared of everything. I have been fighting the fear with what I know to be compulsions but till I came across OCD info like this I thought I was fighting the fear in the only way I could. I was about 1y ago now at age 28y I got up the corage to fight agaist my fear and go against everything my head was trying to convince was scarey. I have gone from being an agrophobic avoiding life and people and society RULES to catching a bus again and not tapping or running for fear of people who might be doing drugs or something bad in there life or smokoing at the bus stop. I still have smoking issues with people but I'm prety sure there more reasonable now I have gone from getting an incredable urge to tap or run to just moving away from people who light up next me I dont personally chose to smoke so I choose to be healthy that includes pasive smoking as it unsafe.

I have a friend again that can handle my strangeness at time in my logic or thoughts. That feels good as well I have put fighting my OCD issues about working and driving on hold right now just to enjoy and keep improving my social OCD issues.

If you have chosen to enjoy the world around you and live a full life, use the following principles as weapons in your arsenal in this battle against OCD.

PRINCIPLE 2: TREAT YOUR OCD AS AN OPPONENT TO YOUR PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS IN LIFE AND FIGHT AGAINST IT DAILY.

One of the biggest fights I had was when I decided to go againt all my OCD thoughts as I have no idea of what normal thinking was at the time I was deciding I proberly have OCD. After being on med for about 3mth I suddenly felt I had woken up from a dream my OCD obsessional thought were hazzy and blurred and was still torn in what way to turn but I try to take my cues from people I trust like my partner and now my friend. I think I still giving in to some copulsion but having no real clue as to what healthy thinking and action really feal like I just reminding my self to not lose ground and when I ready to fight for more normal ground in my mind I will try again soon.

I still trying to balence looking after my 4 kids and my house work while fight my OCD issues I dont want to put my self in to a corner rocking or banging my head when I need to look after my kids. Maybe that and OCD fear make me not hard enough right now but I not ready push to hard to fast my kids need there mum to have fun not sit in a corner and bang her head.

I have a 6 year who has been showing signs of folowing in my foot step mind wise since she was 3y. Now at 6y showing major signs of OCD devoloping I have to help her fight her issues while fighting mine.

PRINCIPLE 3: TAKE A CHANCE AND START TO TRUST PEOPLE AGAIN.

I still have some major society issues that I seem to hit like a brick a wall but I'm getting there. I trust most people these days I no longer fear being stabbed in the back while letting some one walk behind me in the street. I nolonger fear car running me over while I'm on the foot path. I no longer fear as much bridges and falling or throwing my se3lf or other over them as I walk over the bridge.

I still get mild images but no intence fear that see me want to rock or tap or worse.

PRINCIPLE 4: FIND A NEUTRAL ZONE

My neutral zone seem to be room as I spend a lot of time in dealing and over comeing my OCD obsession.

PRINCIPLE 5: REDIRECT YOUR OBSESSIVE NATURE TOWARD A MORE SATISFYING, HEALTHY OUTLET

The internet and some other craft activities are how I over come my intence OCD compulsion but then I sometime feal that what if that become obsessive and I just change my obsession but I try to remind my self