PDA

View Full Version : newbie & SCARED

SuperStar457
10-01-13, 12:42
Hi guys,

Im new to this forum and the world of anxiety to be honest. In November of last year I took not well with a throat infection and because we have been going through a lot of stress lately I took it bad! I ended up in hospital twice over the following couple weeks each time with horrendous palpitations and generally unwell.
After all the tests a doctor told me anxiety was to blame for most of my symptoms although my viral was probably the trigger! I didnt believe him ..... I had NO idea anxiety could have such an awful effect on your physical health!
My sister suffers from depression and recognised my symptoms and has been my life saver.
I am on prolanalol? diazepam and from today citalipram - is anyone else on these?
I find sleeping difficult, in fact many nights I dont sleep at all.
Eating is impossible, im losing weight by the day - the thought of food makes me feel sick - is this normal??
Most people seem to have 'attacks' of anxiety where lately mine is here all the time, even on the meds .... is there a light at the end of the tunnel. Its scary.
Mo x

Mr Brownstone
10-01-13, 13:05
I reckon that the longer your health is ok, the less anxious you will feel. Although its a Catch 22, as your anxiety will affect your health!!

Yes, you will ( or may) go off your food. Worry does that. Again, that should get better.

Cant really add much else, as my anxiety isnt that bad.

jackie13
10-01-13, 13:09
Hi hun

Sorry to hear you are not well at the moment.

Firstly you are not alone! Appetite is one of the things to go when we have extreme anxiety, try and eat bananas etc with plenty of water. Take the meds the docs have given you, Citalopram is great but will only help with the symptoms you may need a little therapy to get you back on track. Symptoms from Cit when you first start at not too nice, but don't stop taking them they will eventually help.

Jackie x

SuperStar457
10-01-13, 13:43
thanks guys, It is good to know Im not alone - its been the scariest 6 weeks of my life, Its been so extreme I honeslty thought I was having heart attacks on some occasions.
I find the nausea and palpitations the worst! and the insomnia :(
I have found a great doctor who highlighted WHY I became anxious (a mixture of life events, stress and illness all within 3 months) and told me that one of those things was just the straw that broke the camels back and my body crashed.
I understand it more now but its a horrible illness :(

jackie13
10-01-13, 17:04
Hun

When we have stressful and emotional events to deal with, we tend to become strong put on our armour and cope with it. It is only after the event we seem to crash.

Jackie xx

Baggs
10-01-13, 17:14
Welcome to the site. I hope you find as much help as I have. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

Tessar
10-01-13, 18:51
thanks guys, It is good to know Im not alone - its been the scariest 6 weeks of my life, Its been so extreme I honeslty thought I was having heart attacks on some occasions.
I find the nausea and palpitations the worst! and the insomnia :(
I have found a great doctor who highlighted WHY I became anxious (a mixture of life events, stress and illness all within 3 months) and told me that one of those things was just the straw that broke the camels back and my body crashed.
I understand it more now but its a horrible illness :(
its really good to read this post, Mo, particularly as it sounds positive. i'm not able to be expert on the matter of anxiety as i dont really get sustained attacks but i do know when under alot of stress about 6 wks ago i had about 3 days where it was very fully on. pleasant it certainly was not. even though i knew what had stressed me was over, i just couldnt seem to calm my poor self down; it was like adrenaline all the time. it did calm though & i suppose i realised that (1) i'm lucky i dont get this unless badly stressed & more importantly.... (2) people who do get this full on alot really do suffer. it brought that home to me even tho it didnt last that long by comparison to others.
so i really sympathise & can in some small way relate. i know from what i have read here that people really do fear the worst but its amazing how people can overcome things. i'm pleased you've found such a great doctor because that reassurance & the explanations make a huge difference in terms of getting better. also that you have a sister who can be so helpful. i'm really happy that she can be supportive. now you can help each other & really know how bad it can sometimes feel.
i think one of the things that i can now comfort myself with (and i hear alot of others say this too) is you begin to realise althought its quite overwhelming when these things are happening, it does get better.
in the short term that equates to a crisis such as you had when in hospital, easing.
and then in the longer term with the right help you can ease the symptoms & also learn to prevent triggers in the future and know what to do if you are triggered.
it might still be worth seeing someone for CBT as this is great for provding coping strategies & learning new ways to look at stressful things. Anyway i'm really glad you are getting good support and also know for sure you'll make some good friends on here :-) which is going to be very helpful as well.

Justmeuk
10-01-13, 22:49
Heyy

Well i have panic attacks but mostly i am left with continuous panic that never leaves me so i know how u feel. The constant state of anguish is the most horrific feeling and i dont no about u but it offers me no respite from it at all. Im havin terrible problems eating n even when i force myself to i usually throw it back up. Diazepam is great and will offer u some immediate relief, n hopefully the citalopram will kick in soon. It personally didnt work for me so ive been on prozac which has helped somewhat. Definately try get some therapy aswell. But unfortunately no magic cure as yet. Just small steps n the sooner u deal with it the quiker it will go. Good luck xx

SuperStar457
11-01-13, 08:57
Thanks everybody. This is 3rd night in a row where I haven't even slept for a split second ..... My symptoms always seem worse in morning as my body is exhausted. Do you guys suffer from insomnia? Before this started I never had a prob sleeping or eating now I can't do either?

hanshan
11-01-13, 09:13
I had insomnia with multiple wakenings each night at a time when I was very stressed.

Anxiety can be very variable. It's possible to be anxious some of the time and not others. Some people suffer panic attacks where they think they are going to die - others have constant feelings ranging from worry to dread. It's all anxiety, it's all real, and we can all help each other in some way.