PDA

View Full Version : Back at work

Mark13
10-01-13, 21:26
Rather than drag my diary entries out I thought I'd post separately.

After 2 months off sick with GAD I went back to work today.

I'm working reduced hours for a while, but day 1 went OK.

The Pregabalin at 600mg really seems to be having an effect. I feel calmer when I've nothing on my mind, and when I do get wound up, if I deal with the situation quickly, my sense of relative calm returns.

The Pregabalin kicked in after 4 weeks, and despite a few really bad days where it seemed to stop working completely, it's been pretty good.

Up and down, but more up :)

Annie0904
10-01-13, 21:28
pleased to hear you are doing so well Mark...long may it continue :)

Kayla-Marie
10-01-13, 21:34
pleased for you mark :)

Mark13
10-01-13, 23:57
Thanks for the support and encouragement, much appreciated :)

hanshan
11-01-13, 03:55
Great to hear that there are now more ups than downs.

Hope day two at work goes well.

JT69
11-01-13, 17:28
Hi Mark,

Thats really positive!! I am so made up for you...you have done so well!! Well done and onwards and upwards for you...long may it continue.:)

JO.x

almamatters
11-01-13, 17:48
Good news Mark :flowers:

Kobey
11-01-13, 18:07
Well done Mark all the best. Do you take 300mg in the morning and 300 at night or all at once ? Doctor has started me on 75 in the morning and 75 at night. I guess that is a very small dose ?

Mark13
11-01-13, 22:07
Thanks again for the support everyone. Feeling a bit nervy now (10pm) but the day at work was fine, felt invigorated in fact as I prepared in writing my argument for why I don't think they should give me a warning :ohmy:

I'm not actually doing any real work at the moment which helps. Only doing 4 hour days for a week and those are filled with me having attendance meetings and writing up HR related stuff to try to stop them punishing me for being ill :winks:

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

Well done Mark all the best. Do you take 300mg in the morning and 300 at night or all at once ? Doctor has started me on 75 in the morning and 75 at night. I guess that is a very small dose ?
Yes 150mg a day was my start dose for about a week, then 300 following week, 450 for a week, then up to maximum dosage.

Yes I take 300mg just after I get up, then the other a couple of hours before bed (along with my Mirtazapine).

Annie0904
11-01-13, 22:10
I'm not actually doing any real work at the moment which helps. Only doing 4 hour days for a week and those are filled with me having attendance meetings and writing up HR related stuff to try to stop them punishing me for being ill

Mark we really shouldn't have to be doing this! if you look at some of the other posts tonight you will see that we have had a few discussions on this subject.

Mark13
19-01-13, 00:27
It's getting me down TBH.

I'm back doing the same work now the made me ill in the first place. Boss says there's nothing they can do about that, they're busy and need all the help they can and there's nothing else to give me.

Plus I have a meeting with my boss on Thursday at which I expect him to give me a warning (our warning period lasts 18 months, too much sick and it gets escalated further).

Pregabalin not holding me up too well today, and my wife getting a bit frustrated with me wittering on about work and my illness (she's supportive but to be fair I am a little one-track minded ATM).

At least I have union representation for Thursday (even though I had to swap unions this week).

kittikat
19-01-13, 00:58
Mark,

Your employer has a 'duty of care' towards you, especially if you are suffering MH issues.

The 18 month warning is very harsh...they should be making adjustments to help ease you back into work, not punishing you. There are specific procedures your employer must follow. Keep all correspondence, emails, letters etc. as you may need them to protect yourself. If your condition has lasted longer than 1 year, or is likely to, you are covered by the Equalities Act 2010. Seek advice from CAB if necessary, my union was useless TBH. I now have a solicitor handling my case.

Wish you the best of luck in your recovery and with work, Kitti :)

JT69
19-01-13, 11:36
Hi Mark

So sorry to hear about all of this...I agree with Kitti and I am sure they should be in a position to support you more....its about getting you back into the business and making adjustments to keep you there not piling on the pressure and making you end up where you were in the first place!!! Drives me mad...am so passionate about these things!!

I do hope you get it sorted out...that way you will continue with your recovery.

Take care
Jo.x

Mark13
19-01-13, 12:50
Thanks Kitti & Jo

To explain, the official warning is 6 months, but for a year afterwards if I had too much sick, they're allowed to continue where they left off (and move onto a written warning) - so in essence, it's 18 months. It's just clever wording in our guidance to avoid actually spelling that out.

I'm surprised my line-manager is so petty TBH, all the (written) info I send him gets met with petty rebuttals.

My union rep seems good though.

You're right, there's a duty of care, but unfortunately there are a lot of get out clauses in our HR guidance, such as "wherever possible", or "taking into consideration business needs" - that sort of thing. Gives my "opposition" the chance to say, we'd like to help but we can't so we'll give you a warning and force you to do the job that made you ill.

My wife, my union rep and the lovely people on here have made me realise I'm not asking too much. I just want to do my job well, attend work, and not get ill.

Management seriously aren't helping with that right now :shrug:

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

I forgot to mention, to be fair to management they have actually put me forward to HR for a change of job (I work for a very large employer in a large HQ office). This has been done under the Equality Act.

However, it will only be actioned if a suitable job comes up, which could be now or never in this current job climate.

In the meantime, it's back to the work that makes me very stressed :weep:

Think I'll go out for a walk in the snow now and take some piccies (I love photography).

Thanks again for your concern, I really appreciate it.

Dazzlar13
19-01-13, 12:51
All the best Mark

Annie0904
19-01-13, 12:55
I hope it all works out well for you Mark. I am going to TRY to go back to work on 11th Feb on a phased return.

ynos
19-01-13, 13:00
Glad your day back went well :hugs:

Mark13
19-01-13, 16:39
Glad your day back went well :hugs:Thanks for the support but it's not going well, that's my point :):winks:

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

I hope it all works out well for you Mark. I am going to TRY to go back to work on 11th Feb on a phased return.
Good luck. Fingers crossed. Hope it goes well for you and your employer is a little more welcoming than mine :)

ynos
19-01-13, 20:14
Oops sorry I just read the first bit of your post & thought your 1st day back was ok, sorry! :blush:
I can't believe that they are trying to get you letters etc..... Now you are back it surely makes your case harder for them to do anything with?!...I think it's a odd world we live in where so many workplaces don't do enough for the people who work for them! What happened to support?? I hope you don't end up worrying about it too much, And you do get a day soon where I can ( rightly) say I'm glad you had a good day ! :winks:
Feel a bit of a arse now........lol :shrug:

Mark13
19-01-13, 22:58
And you do get a day soon where I can ( rightly) say I'm glad you had a good day ! :winks:
Feel a bit of a arse now........lol :shrug:
Don't be daft, it's easily done, I took no offence whatsoever :)

TBH I was quite enjoying myself back at work for the first week (as I wasn't doing any "real" work, mainly just dealing with the union, and preparing my arguments for the attendance meetings.

It's only yesterday when I was told to go back on the type of work that made me so stressed I went off sick before. Apparently there's no other work to give me. That's no doubt the case but I don't see how I can be made to keep on doing the work that made me ill, how is that caring for staff?

Rant over, thanks for listening :winks:

Smallie
21-01-13, 21:42
Hi Mark

Have you considered that maybe the job that you are currently doing may not be the right job for you? I mean if it stresses you so much that you had to take sick leave then maybe it's not suited for you as your as health is more important.

And there are other jobs out there. I know there's a recession and all but if you do feel the job is not right for you then you could look for other jobs whilst you are in your current job esp as you are now doing shorter hours

Mark13
21-01-13, 22:37
Hi Smallie

There are lots of different jobs working for the same employer (I've been with them 28 years and done lots of different roles).

HR are meant to be trying to find me another role, but there are so few vacancies at the minute. My employer is trying to reduce staff numbers so it may take a while. In the meantime I still have to do the only job they have for me.

Mark

oh no_1
21-01-13, 23:53
well done on getting back to work......
it so hard isnt it... i been off over two months now

Mark13
25-01-13, 16:57
Well I had my attendance meeting yesterday, fortunately alongside a very good and well-informed union rep.

My employer still wants to give me a warning, but has agreed to take further HR advice.

While I'm waiting for a job move, which HR have agreed to, it's been decided that I shouldn't have to do the duties which exacerbated my GAD and made me ill for 2 months.

Also they're letting me do reduced hours for another few weeks.

So, despite the impending warning, I'm happy with the outcome. The work I'll be doing while waiting for a move should be a lot less stressful.

Wouldn't have got any of this without my union rep, so it's really good to have someone in your corner when dealing with these things.

So I'm feeling relaxed about the situation now (the pregablin helps of course :)).

Annie0904
25-01-13, 17:37
Mark I am pleased you are happy with the outcome, hope things get better for you.

kittikat
25-01-13, 17:42
Great news Mark, I hope it works out well for you :)

ynos
25-01-13, 17:45
glad you are more relaxed with how it is going & they are taking you seriously, hopefully a steep in the right direction to a better work future with your employer. :hugs:

BikerMatt
25-01-13, 17:47
Sounds good:yesyes: pleased for you Mark:)

han76
25-01-13, 18:18
Hi there I am a new member. Also have GAD and on progabalin. If I can be of any help let me know. I was a trouble shooting manager and spent years doing correspondence for my father who got an MBE for defending workers rights. Your employer has certain legal responsibilities under the health and safety at work act. They cannot hide behind contracts and company rules. Have they done a stress impact risk assessment ? It is a legal requirement. It's irrelevant the company needs for your working. If it's a large company they should have a support system for stress at work. Occupational therapy and counselling lines. They are walking a very dangerous path which would cost them in court and a tribunal.

Mark13
26-01-13, 00:05
Thanks for your support and kind words everyone, it's very much appreciated.

JT69
26-01-13, 13:06
Hello Mark,

Very positive news!! I am really pleased for you...hopefully now you will turn another corner.

Take care
Jo.x

Mark13
29-01-13, 00:18
Thanks Jo.

Well, I have another attendance meeting later today, where I will find out if management are giving me a warning.

If they do, I can still take it higher if I think I've got a good case.

Unfortunately, the pregabalin seems to have stopped working. Since Friday my anxiety has been almost back to my pre-sick leave levels.

On the plus side I'm doing shorter hours and restricted duties.

Mark13
01-02-13, 21:22
Management decided not to give me a warning this time, and are pushing HR to find me another job. My union rep was brilliant.

I'm doing less stressful work in the meantime.

As for the pregabalin, I reckon it stopped working over a week ago. The fact I'm not stressed at work now keep me there but I feel no better than when I started the drug.

I've got an appointment with my Doc on 11th, so I'll discuss it with him then.

JT69
02-02-13, 18:32
Hi Mark

Glad for you!! Well done.

Jo.x