PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations:(

Bonnibelle
10-01-13, 22:05
I started Dosulepin anti depressant 2 weeks ago and I noticed I was getting palpitations, I was very anxious at the time of starting them but also scared due to them having affects on the heart. My gp did an ECG to reassure me which was normal. My gp says the palpitations are anxiety related but I've suffered anxiety for years and very rarely had palpitations. I'm now having about 5 a day, my heart rate is normal. They also hit when I'm relaxed which concerns me.

If I wasn't on this anti depressant maybe I'd not panic but I do because Dosulepin can cause heart problems, which terrifies me. Gp said its rare and I'm only on 25mg. I'm allergic to SSRI meds so I can only take trycyclics. They are working because my anxiety is improving but I'm scared everytime I get the palpitations:(

I had my ECG Monday and so i know that should reassure me but I've had palps all week since so I feel on edge:/

My gp said they are harmless, so why am I so scared?:(Can anyone help?:/

Bonnibelle
13-01-13, 15:23
Noone?:(

Annie0904
13-01-13, 15:35
I think the palpitations are worse because you are worrying so much about the affects of the meds. The ECG should reassure you that you are fine. I still get palpitations but know it is caused by my anxiety and nothing to do with the dosulipin. Stop worrying about the medication, you will be fine, trust me :D xxx

Bonnibelle
13-01-13, 15:40
Thanks Ann. It's just that I'm getting them even though I'm relaxed. I was sat reading just now and I felt 2 hard thuds in my heart followed by flutters in my throat. I was completely relaxed:/ that is why I'm concerned.

I'm having them daily since being on the meds, I rarely suffered before going on them and now I'm getting them despite feeling much less anxious:/ x

Annie0904
13-01-13, 15:48
You are probably actually getting them more than you realise but you notice them when you are sitting down relaxed then you are concentrating on them when you notice them and making them worse. They won't harm you. Also eating cream eggs and chocolate may make palpitations worse because of the caffeine in the chocolate :D :roflmao:

Bonnibelle
13-01-13, 16:05
I am eating alot of chocolate!!!;) lol!!

So do you get them often?

Annie0904
13-01-13, 16:14
I do but I have had them for so long I don't really notice them, I guess I just accept them and think oh that's my anxiety again. I do notice them more after a sugary drink or cup of Cappuccino though. xx

spacebunnyx
13-01-13, 17:23
Hi,

I get palps when I'm anxious without actually realising I'm anxious if that makes sense? I can get them whilst I'm watching tv or something completely out of the blue.

xxx

Bonnibelle
13-01-13, 19:34
That's when I seem to get them.

Thanks for replying xx

Mr Brownstone
13-01-13, 20:54
I get them some times. I mentioned it to the doc once, and he said "as long as you're not getting them all the time, then theres nothing to worry about". You've mentioned it to your doctor as well, and he's not worried either, so we should probably focus on that. I know what its like though, it is disconcerting. I reckon a lot more people get them, than let on that they get them. As they dont suffer from anxiety, they just ignore them. As such, the folk who get them, and suffer from anxiety, think they are alone in getting them, thus heightening our anxiety!!

Bonnibelle
14-01-13, 10:45
Thank you. Yes he said if it were anything tow orry about I would have them all of the time, which I don't. I do have them a few times most days though, which does worry me.