PDA

View Full Version : Have you regretted ignoring your GP's advice?

Justinf
11-01-13, 00:37
I am right now.
I thought I had stomach cancer and went to my GP five times complaining about a lack of appetite. She said it was nothing and that I should use the lack of appetite to drop some weight. I ignored her and now I find that my appetite has come back and that I threw away a golden chance to drop an easy 10kg that I needed to and will now have to do it the hard way.
Your GP knows more than you. Heed their advice and try to learn how to trust them.

sarahsarah
11-01-13, 00:56
Your GP's words sound very flippant. 10kg is an awful lot to lose in that manner. That isn't healthy weightloss at all. Much better to lose it when you're feeling we'll rather than sick. In my experience, any weight lost as a result of illness comes back very quickly, as it should. There are much better ways to lose almost 2 stone.

Justinf
11-01-13, 01:05
I had several long consultations with her and the advice wasn't flippant.It was all done with me understanding where she was coming from at the time, but in hindsight, Sarah, your post makes a lot of sense.
What my GP was getting at was that if losing weight that way was going to kick start my mind into a healthier position, then well and good.
But in hindsight, my mind wasn't ready to use what I thought was a terminal illness to lose weight. How can you think about losing weight when you think you are dying?
Anyway, looks like the salad sandwiches and treadmill will be coming out from now and you are right, it's much better to do it when you are well.

sarahsarah
11-01-13, 01:16
Sorry if I misunderstood your initial post and good luck with your healthy weightloss programme xx