PDA

View Full Version : Help - Depression and Smoking cessation

wippet
11-01-13, 11:56
Hi all,

Just after advice if anyone can help. In a nutshell have been a worrier since teen years. Smoked cannabis for 2 years, had a severe panic attack (felt like I was going to die), that turned into depressive mood. That was 2001. Since then I have been on (and off) of Cipramil/Citalopram then changed to Sertraline which I take on and off.

8 days ago I quit smoking (cold turkey) with the aid of an electronic cig. Since then I have felt a massive decline in my wellbeing. I have felt irritable, anger, sweating, really tired, low, lack on concentration. My question is do you think this is withdrawal or is it me going into a depressive slump again ? Reason I ask is just before xmas I started to feel a little low/if not down after I got my latest round of medication just before December. All the time Ive been on Sertraline Ive always had the "generic" brands but one to trip to the Morrisons supermarket resulted in me being given Lustral (The Brand Name). Ever since that point Ive felt a little different and I swear (along with others on various message boards I've seen) that its different and makes you feel different. Could it be that as I started feeling funny around the time I got them or could it be a bit of both (withdrawal aswell) ? I keep thinking (over analyzing) that if quitting makes me feel this way then I'll have to go back to smoking as its horrible feeling like this or more to the point does it go and how long does it last ? In summary could it be one/both/January blues (being back at work)/lack of sunshine. Ive been trying to taper off meds for ages as I feel I can go without them sometimes so maybe it could be me not taking them properly ? So many questions I hope someone can shed some light/help for me.

Smoking kind of helped me but I want to quit for health reasons even though I enjoy it alot.

One more question, does Dopamine production return to normal in someone prone to anxiety/depression when they quit smoking ? Im just wondering as after 10 years on meds do they do long term damage to neural pathways and prevent regrowth/recovery ? :shrug:

Hope someone can help

Emphyrio
11-01-13, 12:47
Hello,

I'm sure that the irritability is pretty much to do with quitting smoking. Apparently 2- 4 weeks after you stop all cessation related anxiety and agitation will have disappeared - so give it another week or two and I'm sure you'll feel much better.

When you say you've taken your antidepressants 'on and off' what do you mean? Could you give an example?

I've heard about changes in brands of SSRIs having different effects on people - did you give the new brand a few weeks to work?

As for your last question - I wouldn't worry about irreversible damage. The brain is highly adept at recovering from all sorts of changes, whether because of alcoholism or from SSRI medications. Sometimes it takes time, but it ultimately gets back to how it was in the beginning.

swgrl09
11-01-13, 14:16
First congratulations on quitting! That is such an amazing decision and good for you.

I think quitting smoking can cause a load of symptoms, especially cold turkey. Have you talked to your doctor? He may be able to give you advice on how to deal with the symptoms while you are quitting. In the states we have a helpline for those who are quitting smoking and they assign you a mentor that you can talk to for help too. I don't know if they have that where you live? There must be lots of resources out there though I imagine.

wippet
17-01-13, 17:01
Hello,

I'm sure that the irritability is pretty much to do with quitting smoking. Apparently 2- 4 weeks after you stop all cessation related anxiety and agitation will have disappeared - so give it another week or two and I'm sure you'll feel much better.

When you say you've taken your antidepressants 'on and off' what do you mean? Could you give an example?

I've heard about changes in brands of SSRIs having different effects on people - did you give the new brand a few weeks to work?

As for your last question - I wouldn't worry about irreversible damage. The brain is highly adept at recovering from all sorts of changes, whether because of alcoholism or from SSRI medications. Sometimes it takes time, but it ultimately gets back to how it was in the beginning.

Hi Emphyrio,

Basically, I dont take SSRI's all the time as I feel ok without them sometimes. Probably the wrong way to taper off but Ive done it before. Strangley enough in 2007 I was diagnosed with intermittent Bundle Branch Block on the left side of my heart and usually that side is because of underlying heart disease but the the cardiologist was sure I havent got anything underlying. BUT, doing research I have found that Citalopram can cause it !!! Which is really odd as I took that from around 2001 to 2007. Touch wood, the last 2 days I havent felt too bad with the smoking, although I feel I could still smoke though. As I type today is 16 days albeit one rollup on the 13th January for my birthday. I'm suffering with tiredness, lack of sleep, snappy etc at the moment as I looked to cigs for helping with dopamine release, even though I know smoking is bad for me. Am wondering if the cessation is the cause really ? Or one flaring up the other ? Alot of people Ive read online have even suffered with this for a few months after quitting. Maybe it could also be the weather... i.e SAD. As you can tell I analyze too much :doh:

As for the brain/dopamine etc I just wondered if neural pathways do get damaged by SSRI's and cant repair and we cant return to normal ?
Never know, quitting might actually rid some of my anxiety/low stress threshold/depressive mood :shrug:

Welcome your thoughts