PDA

View Full Version : Please can I have a clap?! extreme exposure..

potato11
11-01-13, 17:52
Hi everyone :)

this may seem like a strange post, but I just wanted to share what I have been through today!!

I am a newly qualified midwife (been at my job 2 months now) and have recently started working on the elective caesarean list. My role is to greet women, do their observations, check bloods, prepare them for theatre, take the baby and resuscitate as necessary, then look after the women post-op.

Not only does this involve me catheterising in front of a WHOLE theatre team staring at me - including a consultant making sure I'm doing things correctly - it can be difficult enough trying to insert a catheter when someone isn't watching!!

THEN today a baby came out needing resuscitation - I was stood there, in my sterile gloves arms outstretched - (If anyone saw 'make me a midwife' it was exactly like that newly qualifieds first time!! shaking doesn't cut it)

nowhere to run or hide - feeling like I would explode with anxiety - then the baby comes out not breathing - but my training took over (cliche but true) I ran to the resus room, called for help and it arrived quickly, all the while I amazingly remembered what to do and the baby responded well to treatment and was perfectly fine.

I walked around for at least 2 hours after swearing I was going to quit my job, and when people asked if I was okay after the trauma I just wanted them to go away!! as I didn't want to focus on my feelings.

But overall I managed to do my job in spite of the extreme anxiety :) I think that's some pretty extreme adrenaline exposure!!

ElizabethJane
11-01-13, 18:36
Well done good work. I'm glad that you coped well in a crisis. EJ

PanchoGoz
11-01-13, 18:42
Wow! You're an actual hero! A lot of people would have chickened out or panicked but you really showed your strength! A huge WELL DONE! xx

almamatters
11-01-13, 18:47
Well done for keeping calm and doing the job , don't think I would have managed to. :flowers:

Annie0904
11-01-13, 19:55
Well done :)

Tessar
11-01-13, 20:07
That really puts into perspective what a wonderful job people like yourself do. U deserve more than just a clap, or a pat on the back, u deserve a medal!!

AuntieMoosie
11-01-13, 23:16
Well done hun :yesyes:

I admire nurses, midwives, doctors and anyone in the medical field :)

There is no way I could do a job like that, but I'm so thankful for those who do, where would we be without you all.

Be proud hun, you held out and did your job, it must be so rewarding once the drama is over and you have a happy and healthy new family :D :hugs:

VickyW
11-01-13, 23:29
Hello I'm new here but what a fantastic and inspiring story you must feel pretty amazing after that, I don't know you yet but :bighug1:

well done x

blue October
11-01-13, 23:32
:hugs:

Anxious_gal
12-01-13, 00:19
thanks for sharing : )
I really liked how you mentioned that you had some stress afterwards but once you calmed down you are now very happy with yourself.
It must be a good feeling knowing you helped that little baby :hugs:

Granny Primark
12-01-13, 03:54
What a brill post!
My daughter qualifies as a nurse soon and she read your post and told me I must congratulate you for doing so well.
well on behalf of us both major congrats.
It takes guts, and loads of compassion to do what you did.:flowers::flowers::flowers:

potato11
12-01-13, 23:19
aww thanks guys!!! :D means a lot.

My point was I was VERY anxious and tbh the only way I got through the rest of the shift was by telling myself I didn't ever have to come back!!!

But back I'm going.

Col
13-01-13, 18:00
gosh - I THINK YOUVE JUST CONQUERED YOUR ANXIEY!!!!

I'LL PM YOU IN FUTURE -YOUVE CRACKED IT.

cymraig_chris
14-01-13, 18:42
Awesome, well done :D