PDA

View Full Version : Feels like I have developed anxiety after my first panic attack

jamie177
11-01-13, 21:32
I had my first ever panic attacke 2 weeks ago, always been an anxious person but never had a panic attack. Ever since the panic attack I can't get myself back to my old self. I feel like i have developed every day anxiety. The worst symptom is this tightness in my chest all day and night. If Im not thinking about it or if I have doing happy things why do i still feel like this?

Tessie28
11-01-13, 21:48
:welcome:Hi Jamie,
that is really normal you know. There is so much you can do to help yourself and your first step is this great place! So many people, so much experience. the most important thing being not to feed your anxiety. You will get plenty of help here, take care

jamie177
11-01-13, 21:52
Thanks Tessie, but what should I do now? What's my next step? How can I relieve this chest pressure?

Tessie28
11-01-13, 22:13
Jamie, relaxation is the thing. A good website to look at is called 'Glasgow Steps' it has videos and all sorts of self help for anxiety and depression. Knowledge is very important when dealing with anxiety. Reassuring yourself that you are not in danger is vital. Good books [IMHO] are Overcoming Anxiety by Helen Kennerley and Beat Stress by Alice Muir. I have never had the problem with the chest but these type of feelings are normal. If you haven't seen your doctor I would see him/her ASAP. I see you are American, therefore may well find greater understanding of the problem than we do in the UK. I may be shot down for this but generally we don't do anxiety well - so many people just have the pull yourself together attitude. I am always honest about it and have a fabulous GP.
Look for breathing advice - we often breathe too quickly with anxiety. There are many different ways to try but I like breathe in slowly for 4, hold for 4 and release for 4. I also keep paper bags to breathe into when bad.
When I first had panic attacks back in 2004 it took a few weeks to feel really normal. now I don't have panic attacks but general anxiety. I hope that is some help - try also posting on the health anxiety board - you may find people who also have tight chest problems. Take care,

Dazza123
11-01-13, 22:17
Firstly, id make sure that the chest pressure is anxiety and not something else, though id be 99.9% sure its anxiety because a lot of people get it, I always get chest pain, but im bored of it now so I ignore it. I once had counselling and the lady told me that if I had chest pain and was worried/anxious, to walk up and down the stairs a few times, she said if it was anything serious I wouldnt be able to do that, so that should relieve some anxiety about the chest pressure.

Also, though you may not think you are thinking about it, you are probably waiting for the next attack to happen, and it will be in the back of your mind, it can be ever present even though you think it isnt.

There are lots of relaxation cds you can buy/download that can help you to relax if anxious, also if you feel its becoming a serious problem speak to your doctor and get some help. If you can nip in the bud early, it will save a lot of time and trouble in the future.

Some people (like me) let it go on for far too long, and end up in a very bad state, requiring lots of help from many professionals, always best to get the help you need before reaching this point.

Good luck, and hope you get the help you need.

jamie177
12-01-13, 04:06
The chest pressure is the main thing that is bothering me since its there 24/7. How can I get rid of this chest pressure?

Dazza123
12-01-13, 11:30
Jamie, if it's constant, and you are definitely not anxious then you need to see a doctor. If you are a bit anxious and that is causing the problem you need to learn some relaxation techniques. A checkup with the doctor will ease some anxiety if it's related to that. I don't think anyone can tell you how to relieve the pressure because we are not doctors, you need to get checked out.

Tessie28
12-01-13, 13:03
Agree with Dazza. Doctors first.

jamie177
12-01-13, 18:38
I've already been to the doctor, they did all blood work and everything was fine! But it's been 2 weeks today since my first panic attack and I still have to going and chest discomfort! Is this the panic aftermath or have I developed anxiety since my first panic attack?

Dazza123
12-01-13, 19:23
If it's definitely not physical then take some comfort from that, i.e. you are physically ok, let that ease your anxiety. You have nothing healthwise to worry about. Now, think of things that relax you, maybe reading, listening to music or whatever else you like to do. Just because you had one panic attack it doesn't mean you'll have another, don't dwell on it or let it rule your life. You need to find a way to relax, and it will help you. If it doesn't, tell your doctor that you need something short term to help you get over this. Don't let it takeover.

jamie177
12-01-13, 19:31
Thank you Dazza! My symptoms since the panic attack is the only thing bothering me!!!

Dazza123
12-01-13, 19:37
Things can take a while to ease and get back to normal, but they do, you just have to stay strong and remember you WILL get back to normal, just take it a day at a time :)

jamie177
12-01-13, 19:46
Thank you!