PDA

View Full Version : Panic and Disorders

Mikeywal
12-01-13, 03:30
Hi all,

I just wanted to post on here, I have been suffering from panic and anxiety for over a year now and i can honestly say, its the worst thing in my life. and i must admit, that before I had this my family members have this and i was so ignorant towards it and thought omg its all in their head.

I think it was karma giving me a taste of my own medicine. its awful and a lot of people think the same as i use too think about anxiety.

my anxiety is health anxiety and i kept thinking i was having a stroke and went obsessed with being healthy and worrying about every little headache and pain and numbness. I had a panic attack whilst driving, i thought i was dieing and having a stroke at the wheel on the motorway.. so i avoided going on to motorways and kept to local areas. the anxiety screwed up my life and i nearly lost my job, as i kept it to myself as i felt stupid coz i knew it was in my head, but i always had the "what if" moments and was really scared.

after a few months of being scared i thought enough was enough. I went to my doctor and she was amazing, she put me on sertraline, the first month was awful, couldn't sleep, felt sick, tingles and worry went worse and i thought what the hell has she given me, but she assured me to keep with it and it will get better.

I put my trust in her and she was right, it did get better, the numbness stopped, the worry stopped and i was driving on them motorways again, im not going to say its all down to the tablet, its the way of thinking as well, the moment i feel i cant swallow and feel numb in my face etc, or start to feel anxious i remind myself, its either the tablet or im about to totally freak out and i think to myself, go on then if its going to happen its going to happen. then it goes. the doctor told me the tablets will help in reducing the symptoms and make me feel more calm.

Don't get me wrong, i still have the odd moment, but it passes quickly, the tablets are amazing and the best thing i did was come on here with all the support from this web forum, people have been supportive and it's nice to know im not alone.

my advice to people is, take the meds the doctors give you, trust your gp and if your not happy with anything, talk about it. remember, anxiety and panics are an illness and the more support you get the better.

I am not saying i am 100% but i am atleast 90% and i would rather have that than none at all.

thank you to all supported me on here, this is a great forum.. sorry for going on, but i just wanted people to know it can and will get better.

thanks again xx

AuntieMoosie
12-01-13, 03:41
What a lovely post :)

I think we're all kind of guilty in not understanding this issue before we experienced it ourselves so I don't think you should feel at all bad about that :)

Like you, I find Sertraline extremely helpful. The first few weeks were a bit wobbly but I had some Diazepam to help me along, but once the Sertraline kicked in, it really made a difference to me.

I'm also doing CBT which is working hand in hand with my medication and I'm making steady progress with it :)

You've done really well in helping yourself to recover and face your fears and that is really half the battle won I believe.

I wish you continued success in your recovery, remember we're always here for if you ever need us :)