PDA

View Full Version : Aspartame worry...

collectinglight
12-01-13, 16:30
Hi everyone,

To cut a long story short, I was diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa at the age of 12 and now being 22 and pretty much housebound for the last four years, Im in a real poor state both physically and mentally.

I have extreme anxiety and chronic digestive issues (constant nausea, indigestion, bloating, stomach pain, etc), which is likely to be closely related to my eating disorder, but...I also have hyperparathyroidism and my consultant has discovered two tumours (benign) on my parathyroid.

My question is.....I know people with Anorexia and know they suffer digestive discomfort, but not as extreme as Ive been experiencing it over the last four years. Pretty much every ant-acid has failed to work their magic on my CONSTANT indigestion (burping, acid), and much of the prescription anti-emetics dont touch my nausea....

Because of my Anorexia, Ive had an addiction to aspartame for the past 6 years and have probably consumed thousands of packets of sugar-free gum (sometimes eating up to 6 packets a day) and thousands of Canderel sweeteners daily also. At one time, the majority of my money was spent of Canderel products, taking up to 12 in each drink and literally eating the sweetener packets/tablets out of the box. Embarrassing as this is, is was part of my illness.

After 6 years of constant abuse, Ive cut down massively, and am working on stopping all consumption of aspartame and sugar-free products altogether after hearing about the effects and long term effects of Aspartame poisoning.

Could my past aspartame abuse have caused me any long term damage? Will the symptoms of "aspartame poisoning" lessen as I continue to detox? Im currently on a journey of healing/recovery and am terrified of how this addiction may have effected me in the long term.

Any help would be really appreciated,
Thanks
:unsure:
El

Fred Speed
13-01-13, 08:37
Hiya aspartame is pretty much in most things we eat/ drink unfortunately so you probably haven't overdone things as much as you think. I used to drink up to 6 cans of diet coke a day and still get through packet after packet of sugar free gum. I use gum since I stopped smoking and thought that was better than smoking 20 plus fags a day. Try not to worry about what's already happened and concentrate on living for now chick x

paranoidtree
18-01-13, 18:38
Hi El, I'm really sorry to hear about your story. It can be so hard to fight your way out of an addiction but it sounds like you are on your road to recovery and should be really proud of yourself!

With regards to the aspartame poisoning, i don' know. I know that aspartame isn't a very nice thing (i had an addiction to diet coke/pepsi max which I managed to beat a couple of years ago) but perhaps it could be worth speaking with your doctor or maybe a nutritionist? They would be best placed to help you understand your symptoms and how to perhaps manage them. They could also help with an eating plan (if you are ready for this) which in turn could help lessen your addiction to the gum/sweeteners.

If you ever want to chat PM me but good luck! I hope you manage to find your path and get well. xxx

swgrl09
18-01-13, 18:59
Like the above poster said, aspartame is in almost everything anyway so it's hard to avoid. At least you are cutting down, and you can't do anything about what has already been done so just make different decisions in the future. What's done is done.

I honestly don't really know the answer either, maybe your doctor could shed some light. I hear conflicting things all the time about artificial sweeteners.