PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone develop anxiety after their first panic attack?

jamie177
13-01-13, 04:57
I never had anxiety before and since my panic attack I have a lot of anxiety symptoms, did I develop anxiety or is this just the after math of my first panic attack?

AuntieMoosie
13-01-13, 06:15
Well I don't know the statistics but I would say a high proportion of people do suffer anxiety following a panic attack as it's usually the panic attacks that we become frightened of hence starting the anxiety :)

Perhaps you could consider CBT, it is most helpful with learning new skills and ways of coping with anxiety and panic attacks :)

Dazza123
13-01-13, 18:48
My 1st panic attack was on a plane to Greece, there were kids messing with the door and I was sat in the front seat next to it, I was waiting for the door to open and for me to be sucked out ready to plummet to my death. It didn't happen.

My 2nd panic attack was on the way home from Greece, really bad turbulence, we were bouncing around the sky and I was waiting for the plane to lose control and then plummet to my death. It didn't happen, but I did kiss the tarmac when we landed.

As soon as I got home I forgot all about it and got on with my life.

My anxiety occurred a few years later due to health issues, though I haven't been on a plane since then, and if I ever do I will be taking 50mg of diazepam before I even think about boarding :D

Tero
17-01-13, 03:32
Not necessarily. I know the specific situatons that will cause panic attacks. It's sort of pavlovian, hard to unlearn.

So I know I have some level of anxiety at times, but the panic attacks were not the cause of all anxiety. I have more of a phobia.