PDA

View Full Version : Awful Anxiety on a morning anyone?

jackie13
13-01-13, 08:05
Hi Guys

As you will see from previous posts going through some sort of blip at the mo, but I have terrible anxiety and dread on a morning when I wake up, is this common?

Jackie xx

flossie
13-01-13, 09:24
Hi Jackie. Yes, it is usual for your anxiety level to feel higher in the morning. It is all to do with the drop in your blood sugar level due to the overnight fasting. Simple as that. Have a light snack about an hour before bed and then also as soon as you wake. I know that we often don't feel we can face food when waking up anxious but just have something like a slice of toast and it should rebalance your system and help you feel better.
Make sure you drink enough water, dehydration won't help, and get into a regular sleep routine. Too much sleep is just as bad as not enough.

Arnie365
13-01-13, 10:11
Fortunately I seem to be passed this point now (7 weeks today on fluoxetine) but my anxiety was a lot worse in the morning and then in the evenings. I think in the morning your cortisone levels are higher (triggers fight or flight) as well as your blood sugars being lower as flossie said.

jackie13
13-01-13, 10:55
Hi

Thanks for your replies it is very appreciated:)

My hubby pointed out that even though my meds have gone up only by 10mg as was on 20mg it is still a 50% increase so bound to have symptoms even though the Doc said I wouldn't.

It's just ruining my life at the moment had it each morning for 10 days, will this gradually pass? Got 1-1 CBT starting on 6 Feb.

Arnie, what amount of Flux are you on?

Jackie x

Arnie365
13-01-13, 11:05
Hi Jackie I'm on 20mg. Had review with doctor last week and she said as I seem to be coping a lot better (mostly down to cbt I think) she is going to keep me at 20mg and review again in 8 weeks.

I honestly think you will get a lot from the cbt. Just know that it's you who has to put the hard work in. It's not a magic cure. Your therapist will show you how to do it and run through a few examples with you but you have to put the effort in outside therapy. I was literally writing every negative thought down. It's actually gets really boring writing the same thing over and over day in and day out but I think this is part of it. You bore your sub conscious so it's stops the thoughts. You also re programme your brain so you don't react in the same way to negative thoughts.

My therapist was really pleased how much work I'd put in. She said with some clients she really struggles to get them writing much at all and then they spend their whole therapy session then just filling the notes in. I think you can use your time with your therapist better than doing something you can do at home. I still get the negative thoughts now but they pop in but as soon as I'm aware of it I've already dismissed it. It happens so fast it's almost like I'm not aware of it until its gone. Hard to explain but it's great.

Good luck with the cbt and as I say out the effort in as it will pay dividends for you.

jackie13
13-01-13, 11:15
Hi Arnie

Thanks SO much for encouraging words, been doing a bit online as well.

I am feeling really annoyed that I let the Doc put my meds up, she did say either take the 20mg on a morning and the 10mg a bit later, I asked if that was ok and then she say just take them both together on a morning but I am stuck on the ceiling for about 3 hours with an awful numb feeling:( hate being on Meds, feel like my brain is being strangled and can't act how it should.

Jackie x

Arnie365
13-01-13, 11:26
It will settle down. Give it time.

Keep doing your cbt online. I bought a book and kept reading that for quite a few weeks before my therapy started. Again this helped move things along as I wasn't totally new to cbt so we got going pretty much straight away rather than having to have it all explained from scratch.

If you have an iPhone there is a really good app called iCBT. I've use it a lot as its discreet. My friends just think I'm texting someone but I'm actually doing therapy! They have it for android as well but don't know what that ones called.

jackie13
13-01-13, 11:40
Hi Arnie

Have just downloaded it thanks. I am just so inpatient! I suppose when you feel ill with anything it can make you depressed, I feel ill with this anxiety:(

Jackie x

Arnie365
13-01-13, 12:54
I'm very impatient as well! I'm also a logical thinker which is good for cbt as I took to it really quickly but bad for anxiety because you end up intellectualising everything. Sometimes ignorance is bliss :D

katy2104
13-01-13, 14:19
Hi I suffer awful morning anxiety too, it's so discouraging as I have started to feel almost normal in the evening now and then IT'S BACK as soon as I wake. I am still in early stages of escitalopram just had to go down from 15 to 10 as dosage was increased too quickly (5 to 10 to 15 in 3 weeks) now day 8 back on 10 which I intend to stay on for a while. Please tell me it will eventually go away!!!!

flossie
13-01-13, 14:39
Hi Katy2104. It will take a while for your system to adjust to the meds and then you should start to feel better. Everyone is different to how long it takes for things to settle down and get the dosage right for them. Stick with it and hopefully before too long you will turn the corner and things will improve for you.
Good luck.

katy2104
13-01-13, 16:01
Thanks Flossie, I would say there is improvement in my mood already, it's just the anxiety and I have lost most of my confidence. It's horrible when you know what a nice life you could lead but you are held back by this. I have found this site to be very helpful, some lovely people willing to support each other x

jackie13
13-01-13, 19:00
Hi Guys

I am gonna try and have a snack before I go to bed see if that helps, trouble is if I woke up without the anxiety I would then worry and it would come back, trying to break myself out of the anxiety circle.

Jackie x