PDA

View Full Version : Carpal Tunnel Release

flumpkin
13-01-13, 23:06
Hi

I am scheduled for release surgery next week and am getting more anxious as the day approaches. Just wondered if anyone had experience of it? I am worried as although a small op I will be awake (local). Also worried about stitches and looking after the wound afterwards. I am really funny about things near my wrists :(

thanks
Flump xx

lindajane1971
16-01-13, 00:21
My mum had this done on both wrists, she wasn't an anxious person and watched them doing it (yuk!) she said it was just weird feeling them doing it but at the same time she couldn't feel it? A bit like after you've had numbing at the dentist.
It cured her about 95% and she had virtually no scarring at all.
Best wishes to you xx

ammiemum
16-01-13, 06:39
it is brilliant yes you are awake but you don't need to look it is done very quickly and they wont start until they are sure you are numb. being able to move my wrist without pain is great am having the other one done at the end of this month , hopefully -scheduled for 31st anyway.it is not as painful as your wrist has been ...and after the first few days it is ok.. go for it hardly any scar it is not actually on your wrist but the base of your hand i know where they did mine and it hardly shows i have to point it out to anyone who asks! i was really , frightened to have it done but had got to the stage where i was equally desperate to relieve the pain[20 years of it, slowly worsening and thought it was just wear and tear!]. i hope you get it done you will be amazed at the difference-i hope .
mine was done a month or so b4 xmas. thinking of you x

flumpkin
17-01-13, 13:50
Thank you so much for your replies and reassurance. I especially like the bit about it being my hand not wrist :) good to hear positive experiences too as a few things I have read have not been so good but consultant says very routine op and best to catch early (only had prob for 18 months). My sympathies to having it for 20 yrs!! Can I ask how long it was before normal use? I am having open release and told stitches in for 2wks so no driving and then maybe 2 more weeks off work (as I use computer all day). Seems a bit excessive? Some sites say people back at work in few days?

Thanks
Flump xx

Tessar
17-01-13, 14:54
hello flumpkin - i'm glad that you've found the posts below reassuring as i know a couple of people who've had it done. they found it ok. i know that one friend wasnt given physio after but i'm sure you're meant to have that to keep everything flexible. i imagine that would get scheduled in for you - but always worth asking so that you get it if it's meant to be.
the procedure itself from what i recall my friends saying was pretty straightforward so thats much as you've been told. recovery wise, i suppose everyone is different. there are some who would go back to work straight away just prove they are "hard"!! no point doing that me thinks. its probably best to take the advice you're given as looking after yourself in the early stages of recovery from anything is always a key thing.
hope all goes well & I love your user name by the way!

flumpkin
17-01-13, 19:43
Thanks Tessar

I don't want to take too much time off, but also want to make sure it heals properly. I guess it is a case of waiting and seeing. They haven't mentioned physio so I'll ask when I go.

Can't believe your mum watched Linda :wacko: I will definitely be looking the other way!

Appreciate the good wishes and support

love flump xx