PDA

View Full Version : Worries over routine health checks

Coppernob
14-01-13, 11:32
I always get very worked up waiting for the results of routine 3-yearly mammograms and nowadays also the 2-yearly bowel-screening checks. I've realised that in 2013 I will be due for both, and possibly at round about the same time.

Even when I'm not in a depressed or anxious state I get panic-stricken waiting for the results, I don't know what on earth I'm going to be like this time. It's likely to be about 6 months before it happens, but already I'm worrying about them - however will I cope? But I couldn't possibly not do them as I would worry for ever that something would have been missed by not having them.

Just wondered how other people coped with things like this :unsure:

panickyme
14-01-13, 11:36
I understand how you feel exactly. I am going for all my annual test (all within Jan. and Feb.) and I am freaking out. We just have to stay strong, and do it. We will feel better when it is all over. Good luck to you. :hugs:

swgrl09
14-01-13, 13:34
I hate those annual tests. My doctor mentioned my physical this coming fall and I got anxious, and that's not due until September! Eek

emeraldgirl
14-01-13, 18:30
I know exactly how you feel. I was ok for my first mammogram but had a recall that turned out to be ok in the end. Ever since I have been so scared that I have had to pay and go private as I can't bear the waiting time. I still get incredibly anxious but at least its over quicker. I know I'll be the same when the bowel screening comes around - I will have to see if there's a way to get an 'instant result'. Like you, I couldn't not have the tests done either as like you say, i would always be wondering what was lurking there. I would much rather be spending the money on a holiday - that's how bad the anxiety is