PDA

View Full Version : H.Pylori and cancer...

Rls1994
14-01-13, 13:47
I've heard that H.Pylori and cancer is related, which is scaring the crap out of me since my doctor suspects I have H.Pylori. I don't KNOW if I do have the infection, and I shouldn't worry until I get the blood tests and stool sample results back, but I'm worried that if I do have it, that I'll get cancer somewhere down the line because I've had this for ages and it's been left untreated.... I'm only 18 for goodness sake... :/

Can someone tell me if this is true or not?

Tessar
14-01-13, 14:04
Regardless of whether its true or not, Rls, focus on the fact that you have not been told you have the infection. Because your doctor is thorough, the required tests have been carried out. This means you're being well cared for which is reassuring.
I am sorry that you are going through this as I understand it would be a worrying time but meanwhile no Dr Google and no speculation. Try to be patient & get your mind off this subject onto something else!

Rls1994
14-01-13, 14:10
Thank you Tessar. :) You're definitely right. I've heard that this infection is very common and is easily treatable so I'm happy about that. I should expect my results back in about a month, so I will let you all know if you're interested.

swgrl09
14-01-13, 14:16
If it helps, the mayo clinic website says that at least half of all people in the world have h pylori infection and half the people in the world don't have cancer :hugs:

Arnie365
14-01-13, 18:48
It's a really common bacteria so wouldn't worry. It's harmless in most people.

spacebunnyx
15-01-13, 18:26
hi, its sooo common... and it only slightly increases your risk. you are 18.. even if you had it for 10 years that would not really be classed as a particularly long time. you might not even have it! my dr was convinced i did and I didn't. xxx

drponyslayer
15-01-13, 21:15
It's quite the common infection treated with PPI's and antibiotics. I've not heard of it leading to cancer unless it's untreated and turns in to an ulcer. If you're ulcer free, you've nothing to worry about :3

Tessar
15-01-13, 22:04
Thank you Tessar. :) You're definitely right. I've heard that this infection is very common and is easily treatable so I'm happy about that. I should expect my results back in about a month, so I will let you all know if you're interested.

Yes please do let me....and everyone else know how u get on rls.....