PDA

View Full Version : wondering about alternative therapys etc

kt79
14-01-13, 16:58
I am going to be starting CBT at the end of the month but have also been suggested that Reiki and Hypnotherapy can be helpful. Has anyone tried any therapies such as these for anxiety and have they found them useful?

retrochic
30-01-13, 19:02
Hello there. Im very new here but thought I would send u a message as I have found hypnotherapy to be one of the most useful techniques in combating my anxiety. I do think it depends on the practitioner though, so id recommend doing your research. For me, a practitioner who is also nlp qualified was the most effective (so much so that I am about to train as a hypnotist and nlp therapist!!

I have had reiki in the past for relaxation and loved it.

I also have a question for u...I noticed on an earlier post u said u were pregnant and was asking if others had experienced pnd/anxiety with their 2nd child. I too am pregnant and worried about the same thing (had a terrible experience with my first pregnancy). Have u had the baby? how have u found the pregnancy?

Thanks

missfishlash
30-01-13, 23:05
Had one session of reiki with a friend, brilliant, I was pins and needles free for two days, which is a lot for me
Going for hypnotherapy on Saturday so will keep you posted on that, but felt better just after the initial consultation....so many of my symptoms wre so obviously anxiety and HA to the therapist, I even cried when she told me that my hot sweats in the night were typical of my mind being on constant high alert....have great hopes for it being a success

beBRAVE
30-01-13, 23:43
hey kt78, ive had CBT and NLP, NLP is neuro-linguistic programming also know as Hypnotherapy, NLP worked really well on me, its all todo with your subconscious, and suggestion to the subconscious, if you have NLP make sure you have a qualified person do it, same with reiki,

I haven't tried reiki, I know its todo with spirits helping to calm and cleanse the body but I read in my gf's womans mag/book, that a woman who had reiki could talk to spirits etc, it put me off i must admit

other than that, I think NLP is both helpful and relaxing

Jason x

Paul H
02-02-13, 22:50
Hi there. NLP isn't the same thing as hypnotherapy. NLP is the attempt to make a science out of the art of hypnotherapy as modelled by Milton Erickson. The "science" of NLP is all a bit 60s pop psychology. It's a magpie therapy which dresses itself up as a science.

Most modern hypnotherapists will use techniques appropriated by NLP but they are not the same thing.

It doesn't really matter anyway. What matters is that you find a well qualified hypnotherapist with whom you feel comfortable.

Best wishes

Paul

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

Oh, by the way - is it useful? I used to be a complete sceptic. I found myself going to see a hypnotherapist for smoking. It worked like a charm. I then went to see a counsellor for a long-standing issue and that worked very well too. I was so impressed that I then went on to be trained as a hypno-psychotherapist. I'm a bit like that bloke from the 1980s adverts who was so impressed with the product that he bought the company. It was a nasal hair trimmer or something similar. Do you remember that?

So, yes, it does work. You only need an open mind and a real desire to change.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes

paul