PDA

View Full Version : Chest pain before the anxiety

kerri
14-01-13, 20:27
Hi I have had chest pain which is now a daily occurence. It seems to come out the blue even when im not anxious. I have had ECG and bloods within the last 2 months and all came back normal. If it is anxiety then why is it there almost constantly?
I could possibly understand if I was anxious and then the pain came but when its pain first its really worrying.

xtremx
14-01-13, 20:39
Hi Kerri. I suffer from something called costochondritis. It gives pain to the sternum area but can spread all over the chest and arms it is a condition that can be at times very painfull and it can just vanish and never comeback it maybe something for you to look into. If you search costochondritis on nomorepanic I have posted a useful link for the condition.

I would try finding it for you but I'm using my phone not my laptop.

katieloveshoes
14-01-13, 20:40
Hi Kerri -

Sounds exactly like me and how I started. I'm not even thinking about anything stressful or anything at all for that matter, and I get a twinge which develops into a pain. If youve had ECG ad bloods (like me) its most likely anxiety.

I still don't understand truly how it can happen but it does - Its somewhere deep into your subconscious which, when a normal every day pain occurs e.g a muscle twitch, you immediately notice it - and therefore 'shining a torch' on the otherwise regular pain, which instantly turns it into something worse. If this rings true at all and seems like this could be happening, it sounds like anxiety. Mine only has to be a pain for a second, and i've clocked it and thats when it gets worse. This is all before ive had a chance to think about worrying. Your not worrying, your bodies used to it for some reason!

kerri
14-01-13, 20:50
Thanks for the reply's. I have previously been diagnosed with costocondritis but at the last visit to my Gp which was 2 weeks ago he felt my ribs and said that he didnt think it was costocondritis. Im starting CBT next week and hope that I can try and banish these awful thoughts that I have something awful. Im not holding out much hope as I have been convinced im about to die for 13 years.

asmmargod
14-01-13, 20:53
Hi Kerri.
My episodes of anxiety are usually kicked off by chest pain or by just some strange feeling there.
Today's one started off from burning sensation across my chest while playing with my son.
It drives me mad and created hell in my life but can't figure it all out atm to make them stop or at least make them bearable.
Hope you'll be able to get on top of it x

katieloveshoes
14-01-13, 20:53
Im starting CBT too had my first assessment today - Hope it works out for you as much as I hope it does me, not been suffering for too long in comparison but long enough - Really hope it works for you.

I was recommended a book today called 'overcoming health anxiety' on Amazon - might be worth a purchase (£7.56 I think) - Im going to give it a bash.

Ric77767
15-01-13, 14:52
I get chest pain everyday to. Sometimes it's above my chest other times it under my left breast just feel tight. I hate it and also I get it out of the blue

Arnie365
15-01-13, 20:48
Like already posted you are anxious in your sub conscious. You aren't aware of this until it manifests itself as symptoms then your conscious mind picks up on it and the panic cycle starts.

This is what did my head in for ages as I got chest pains without feeling anxious so I convinced myself something was wrong with my heart. Nope, just anxiety messing with me!

Cbt has really addressed these negative thoughts and my symptoms have rally reduced since I've accepted it as anxiety and my heart is fine.