PDA

View Full Version : Struggling want to come off meds

Evedawn
15-01-13, 10:37
Been on sertraline for 6 weeks in varying increasing doses. I feel alot better (100mg) but yesterday psych wants me to go up to 150!!!! I say I feel alot better but she says I'm "half way there". Thing is past few days my anxiety is worse! She wanted to add mirtazepine but I said no way!!!! I'm not an pill bottle. I want my life back! I'm wondering if I should even be on meds .... I mean logically I know it's a good idea as I don't feel do low but .. Yeeshh!!

Pigeon
15-01-13, 11:09
Hello Evedawn
I don't know anything about the type of meds you're on but I do think that the best thing is to follow your psychiatrist's advice. You may be feeling better but it's not a good idea to come off if they think you shouldn't. As far as I understand , you can get a bad reaction from coming off so quickly and it needs to be a gradual, managed process.

Try to trust their judgment. I'm sure they are trying to do what's best for you.

I wish you the very best of luck and lots of hugs for you

Pigeon:)

Evedawn
15-01-13, 11:12
Thanks pigeon. I know in my mind that I should stay on but inu heart I don't want to. Hope all is "ok" with you also?

Roxy79
15-01-13, 11:14
I came off mine once before when I thought I was ready to and it was horrible as I obviously wasn't ready. I would wait until the doctor advises you to stop them

Liz x

Emphyrio
15-01-13, 13:57
Could you not ask to stay on 100mg for a month or two just to see how you manage?

Evedawn
15-01-13, 14:08
Yeah emphyro - I said that I WASN'T going up a dosage. They can't make me. as for taking another drug in addition (they eanted to sdd mirtazepine too) no Way! iIt's bad as just a week ago I was still feeling so low )and you kindly answered by q's re that too��) but now I'm feeling better (albeit not my old self) I get the idea that they just want me to mask the symptoms.

Sparkle1984
15-01-13, 20:48
6 weeks isn't long enough to get the full effects. It took me 11 weeks before I started to feel the full effects of my meds. So there is still plenty of hope. You will get there eventually. :)

Tyke
16-01-13, 04:00
It takes a few weeks for sertraline to take it's full effects. It's not advisable to just drop it especially as you feel it has helped, but if you are happy with the dose you are on I can't see why you shouldn't be able to stick with that for a while. If you manage on a lower dose it also makes it a bit easier when you do need to taper off. I was on Sertraline for about a year after feeling much better around 6 weeks in. My doc felt it would be a big mistake to come off too early but I kept on the same dose (50mg) throughout.