PDA

View Full Version : cbt

spottitchsam
15-01-13, 11:07
hi guys can anyone tell me what you do when you see a cbt.my gp said it might be good for me to see someone.how long do you have to wait for your 1st appointment,and how long do they last for.I know all areas are different but on average.thanks x

Cocomademoiselle
15-01-13, 11:21
Hi

I think there is a long waiting list in most areas. Most sessions are for 1 hour and usually 8-12.

In my area it is MIND that offer CBT. You should have a local MIND mental health charity. And your GP can refer to them by filing in a form. If you want you could contact your local MIND and ask if they offer it and what the waiting list is.

In the meantime, whilst waiting for a first appointment you could have a go at online CBT ? Mood Gym is one which is free its the same principals that you will cover in your sessions.

jayjoe18
15-01-13, 12:09
Hi, I first went to CBT when I was about 15-16 as I was struggling really badly with health anxiety. It was practically an overnight thing for me as I was in a terrible state at the time so my Doctor wanted me to have some immediate help. I don't know if I was seen quickly as I was classed as a child, I'm not sure? I'm now 19 though and waiting to go back to CBT to tackle other aspects of my anxiety, however now I'm classed as an adult I've noticed a much longer waiting time (I've been waiting about 5-6 months now) The doctor said it can usually take this long but did say I have been waiting quite a while now. Regarding the appointment times, the first one for me was more of a group meeting to discuss my problems and for them to decide who to allocate me to (I wanted a women as I feel more comfortable). They could see I was really nervous, so the appointment didn't last long. From then it was weekly 1 hour appointments, at first I had to have my mum with me in the sessions and they were slightly shorter than an hour until I got used to it but by the end it was full 1 hour sessions on my own. I must of been really lucky as I was in CBT for the best part of a year! And returned after this for a few more sessions and to see my therapist etc. It's scary at first but gets easier, there's lots of work to do to take home too but I'm sure you will find it helpful, good luck!

spottitchsam
15-01-13, 14:21
thanks guys for the replies,can you tell me what they/I do on my 1st session.do I have to lie down on a couch,and do they put "you out".sorry but if I know what to expect I might find it easier.x

Annie0904
15-01-13, 14:47
No you don't have to lie down on a couch and No they don't put you out. They will just talk to you about the kind of things that make you anxious and help you to turn your negative thoughts into positive ones as well as teaching you ways of dealing/coping with the panic attacks. You will get homework to do for example writing down your thoughts and how they may trigger your anxiety.

spottitchsam
15-01-13, 18:06
No you don't have to lie down on a couch and No they don't put you out. They will just talk to you about the kind of things that make you anxious and help you to turn your negative thoughts into positive ones as well as teaching you ways of dealing/coping with the panic attacks. You will get homework to do for example writing down your thoughts and how they may trigger your anxiety.

Annie thanks for clearing that up for me.many thanks.x

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

Annie thanks for your reply,will see if I can get a appointment with the gp on Monday.I am trying to get back to normal asap has I'm taking my 12year old granddaughter to butlins next month on my own.x

Annie0904
15-01-13, 18:13
I think CBT will help you. It helps to change your way of thinking so that you become more positive about things. You will just be sitting on a chair talking to the Psychologist. The psychologist will explain it to you in your first session. xx

Chester
15-01-13, 19:40
hi guys can anyone tell me what you do when you see a cbt.my gp said it might be good for me to see someone.how long do you have to wait for your 1st appointment,and how long do they last for.I know all areas are different but on average.thanks x

Hi Spot.

In my area (Tyne and Wear) they have an excellent Mental Health team including 5 CBT therapists, the waiting list is only about a month or so here so I'm a little lucky.

I'm having 20 sessions and up to number 17. You basically sit and talk things through and challenge your thoughts and reaction to panic/fear and how you might be uinintentionally feeding it.

I sort of treat mine like a class, you do get homework but it's quite relaxing to do it as it allows you to vent. Your therapist will judge the best plan for you but I like to get a lot of reading and I've tried mindfulness CD's too, but alongside my therapist and at home.

It's a really supportive atmosphere too, it's not

'You are anxious because you have a repressed fear of raspberries' (you get my drift!!)

it's more

'You get anxious because....(insert explanation and then tips on handling it)

They'll do behaviour experiments with you, such as, if your feeling woozy you might have a glass of water. So...don't have the water, what happens? How do you feel etc etc It's all good.

But CBT isn't for everyone, def worth a go though

spottitchsam
15-01-13, 20:11
jkkne thank you for your reply,it sounds if it could take a bit of getting used to.does it drain you,because if you are talking none stop for a hr even I wouldn't be able to keep going for that long.x

Annie0904
15-01-13, 20:18
You won't be talking non stop for an hour. Sometimes it can make you feel a little drained after but overall it helps and makes things more positive. The therapist I have makes me feel really relaxed.

spottitchsam
15-01-13, 20:57
can you ask to be seen by a woman/man or do you have to go with the next available person.x

Annie0904
15-01-13, 21:00
Usually you just go with the next available person but if you feel more comfortable with a woman you could ask. I have only ever seen women anyway so it could be that there are more women than men in that profession. They often do a telephone assessment first.

Oosh
15-01-13, 21:27
I waited nine months for cbt in Leeds, West Yorkshire. It was a woman.
Each one lasted an hour I think , once a week.
Small room, both sitting opposite each other in armchairs. A chalk board in there also. She'd listen to what I said I thought and she'd write them on chalkboard illustrating to me how this leads to this leads to this. By breaking the cycle and introducing new thoughts and behaviours you can change that cycle etc.
After about twelve visits she asked me if I needed more. I said yes and had about another twelve.

It didn't work for me. I suffer with social anxiety. She tried to get me to talk to the person on the bike next to me at the health club. It was an approach that implied I WANTED to talk to people but was just scared to do so. But I'm not sure that was the case then. I had had a rough time and at that time think I just forgot how to enjoy an interaction like that completely.
She suggested I maybe try another antidepressant. Prozac had made me more anxious so didn't really want that route. Contributory factors for it not working for me in particular. I'm in no way saying it doesn't work. It was nice to talk things through each week. Unlike counselling with MIND where I found they just look at you nodding and create silences so you can talk and they can listen which ultimately I found unhelpful and frustrating. At least cbt therapist/psychologist gives you feedback, help etc. it's nice to have the feedback of an expert.

spottitchsam
15-01-13, 21:47
thanks to each and everyone one of you.is there a medical person near by in case you have a panic attack.can you take someone with you say your husband on your 1st visit.has I was abused by my so called best friend's father it takes a while for me to feel comfortable with strangers.x

Annie0904
15-01-13, 21:56
They prefer that you go on your own to speak with the therapist. As they are psychologists they are trained to deal with panic attacks and will teach you how to cope with panic attacks. Your husband will be able to go with you but they may ask him to wait in the waiting room. They do take good care of you and make you feel relaxed. I have suffered abuse myself so understand how you feel about wanting someone you know nearby. xx

Oosh
15-01-13, 21:56
I saw a girl, looked like a local uni student. She was with a friend/relative in the waiting area. Although I can't remember if they went in together I can't see why they wouldn't let you, even if its just on the first occasion.

There were all sorts of people in the building I entered. Receptionists, nurses, therapists.

Annie0904
15-01-13, 21:57
The waiting list for me was just 6 weeks x

spottitchsam
15-01-13, 22:38
thanks Annie I am happier now,cause I don't think I could last a whole hour.x

sarahkay
16-01-13, 02:02
Hallo meanwhile you are waiting for an appointment, there
are some good books out there on CBT which you could read
to get an idea of what to expect

Hope this helps?