PDA

View Full Version : Sinus infection how i hate thee.

mrcash123
15-01-13, 14:06
So i have been told i have a sinus infection thats been on going for about 4 weeks now but i have no nasel discharge i cant smell very well and have been put on antibiotics that havnt done a thing the only mucas i bring up is from the back of my throat i get pressure in my head and behind my eyes and feel off balance a lot. anyone know when this nightmare will end? the docters wont take me seriously anymore my jaw also is very painfull i also have fluid behind my ear drum tried everything to get rid of this didnt realise how annoying these things can be. Hope everyone is well.

Annie0904
15-01-13, 14:48
Steam inhalation helps as does alternating hot and cold compresses for 10 minutes each. I hope it clears soon.

mrcash123
15-01-13, 14:52
Thanks for the advice annie but i have tried that i do it everyday but it dosnt seem to work the only time i have mucas is when i cough it up in the mornings is this something called post nasel drip? and if so is that the sinuses trying to drain?

Annie0904
15-01-13, 14:59
Yes it does sound like post nasal drip. I had it a long time ago and I just had to wait for it to clear up. I wonder if something like beconase nasal spray would help?

mrcash123
15-01-13, 15:11
yeah i have that spray the only thing it helped was i was smelling gas and thats gone now so a little bit of a result how long did you have your infection? is 4 weeks a bit excessive?

swgrl09
15-01-13, 15:14
I had one for about a month ... had to go on two courses of antibiotics. Have you tried saline rinses for your sinuses? A neti-pot helped me, as well as steam. I never had runny nose or anything, just post-nasal drip and jaw, teeth, cheek pain, fever on and off once in a while.

Eventually found out I had environmental allergies, got on an anti-histamine, and I get them a little less often and less severe now.

Annie0904
15-01-13, 15:52
I don't think 4 weeks is excessive for sinus problems, unfortunately they can take a long time to clear and with me often come back :(

Ddcoo
15-01-13, 15:57
I get a lot of sinus infections, in fact they seem to be almost continuous and the 2 things that help me the most are a neti pot (saline rinse) and I use a steam inhilation cup which I bought from Boots and I put a few methol crystals in the water. Also like Annie says use beconase nasal spray, I find that good too.

mrcash123
15-01-13, 16:32
bless you this is my first ever one and i cant deal with it absolute nightmare.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Thanks for the advice guys guess it'll just clear up on its own time.

dlr108
15-01-13, 17:14
i have constant nasal congestion all the time sometime it gets really bad doctor says there is not much they can do nasal sprays never work olbus oil helps sometime but it really does get aannoying at times

shellyruby40
20-01-13, 21:16
So i have been told i have a sinus infection thats been on going for about 4 weeks now but i have no nasel discharge i cant smell very well and have been put on antibiotics that havnt done a thing the only mucas i bring up is from the back of my throat i get pressure in my head and behind my eyes and feel off balance a lot. anyone know when this nightmare will end? the docters wont take me seriously anymore my jaw also is very painfull i also have fluid behind my ear drum tried everything to get rid of this didnt realise how annoying these things can be. Hope everyone is well.
Hi.
i feel for you.ive just getting over a severe one that kept me in bed since new years day..i had eurothromycin and metrondiazole for it..didnt even touch it..i had 3 weeks of agony for it..endless drs trips..one side of my cheek bone and nose swelled slightly and nose is still slightly swollen on one side,it was so painful i cried every day..dr sent me to the hospital because i was panicking so much about it..i had sinus infections before but never as painful as this one..the dr at the hospital said sinusitis plus anxiety[lol i knew that]the only thing that eased it slightly was a steroid nasal spray which helped me to breath out of my nose a bit better..
ended up having 3 weeks of work unable to function except to lie in bed..i got a cold on top of the sinus infection so think that made it worse.

im on my 4th week but still have to have painkillers every day and the nasal spray..plus pain in my cheekbone and my head aching every day..ive shone a torch up my nose and both nostrils look narrow where did the same to hubby[he knows my problems lol]and his looked normal..
so yes is complelty normal for it to go on for so long..after nearly 3 weeks mine lessened slightly but hasnt gone away,.
the dr told me if when you blowing your nose the snot[sorry]is clear then there isnt an infection there anymore its just immflamation.
the jaw thing is awful and all my teeth hurt with it..
the post nasal drip is a pain in the neck..ive found the steriod nasal spray has definalty helped with this.the pressure you feel in your face is awful..i found it took over 3 weeks for my balance to come back..i tried to get back to normal after about 2 weeks when i was able to get out of bed but it was too soon and i felt like i was walking on air and that i was going to fall over..i also had the pressure of the ears,
its sais that after 3 or 4 weeks the symptoms should either abate or become not as painful[meaning you can function with painkillers]but this means that its a chronic problem[in my case]ive go to take this steroid nasal spray for a month and then go back and see if the sinus has cleared..im still freaked out about mine because ive still got a slightly swollen nose and cheek bone on one side after nearly 4 weeks,no one notices it until i point it out but to me its elephantitis lol.

the dr also said acute infection can last up to 12 weeks before it becomes chronic but the good news with chronic is that the pain lessens a lot.
but usually the severe pain starts to abate after sround 4 weeks but it is still painful and you can be either blocked or running..it seems to change every day.
i found steaming with vick helped a bit but only painkillers for the facial pain[which makes me want to bawl]

drs seem very much like this with sinus infections although its such a horrible infection with the headaches and face fullness and agonising pain.
i promise you will notice an improvement soon..
go back to the drs..i went about 5 times in 2 weeks and hospital once and because i felt so rough i wasnt even embarrased about being a regular there lol..are you using a spray..i ve got neonex from the drs on prescription and told to use it for a month then go back.
completey sympathise..hugs to you.its absolutly rotten,
i dont think mine is ever going to go.
xx