PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Anxiety can pretty much mimic any disease?

frazm88
15-01-13, 19:31
I know it's a very general question to be asking on this board.

I had pretty much managed to control my anxiety over the last 5 years but lately its came back with vengeance.

Anyway over the past 5 to 6 weeks, maybe pushing two to three months I've pretty much diagnosed myself with every cancer under the sun and anything from testicular to liver and kidney from MS to diabetes.

I was just wondering if anyone else believes that an anxiety can physically mimic anything you let it?

I'm a newcomer to this so Hi to all viewers.

thanks,

Fraser

ecila92
15-01-13, 19:52
Yes anxiety can give you pretty much ANY type of symptom, am worrying about MS but trying to be positive and put it down to anxiety symptoms.

Hellsbells1977
15-01-13, 19:54
Hi Fraser,

This is a question I'd like answering too... I've been imagining that I have all kinds of problems.. including lymphoma and leukemia.. although in moments of clarity I do think my aches and pains are all down to my brain over thinking each and every twinge in my body... hope someone answers your question! Sorry I couldn't help!

H :)

BikerMatt
15-01-13, 20:21
YES 100% no doubt.

Wolfie
15-01-13, 20:36
Anxiety symptoms can mimic other conditions, such as a heart attack, etc. However, I think beyond that, we are interpreting our symptoms to be something like cancer, etc, as opposed to anxiety being 100% responsible for mimicing every disease we are worried about.

JustBenn
15-10-14, 00:25
Thought I'd bump this up, as I too want know what others think. :)

Vitali
15-10-14, 17:20
I think so. There is much power in the brain. Sometimes, when we focus on things long enough, our brain makes us think they are actually there or that it is the worst. My doctor described it to me as a focusing of anxiety. He explained to me the "lurking tiger" analogy. When we are running from a tiger, anxiety is heightened and our muscles are tensed so we can survive and escape. But when there is no tiger and we still have anxiety, then what? Everything becomes a tiger. The cough, the sore throat, the upset stomach, the night sweats. Then we focus on it and our anxiety amplifies it. Not to mention it hurts your overall health and immune system.

I too have diagnosed myself with just about every disease. Even after all my trips to the doctor with nothing found. At the end of the day, it's anxiety (and a little nasal drainage). :)

Vitali

anthrokid
18-10-14, 01:54
Symptoms of anxiety can be very similar to many different illnesses and diseases. Hence the reason that before a diagnosis of anxiety, people usually have a general health check with a GP/doctor to rule out any medical conditions.

Carnation
18-10-14, 02:03
I think that Anxiety can make you suffer with almost any bodily symptom that represents 'the something else' thought and if you let your Mind run away from you, you can make the symptoms worse. When you get a symptom, try to think of a logical reason for that feeling. I have been using this method and it works very well.
For instance, if you feel pains in your chest area, think to yourself, I ate my food to quickly and have given myself indigestion. (Which is probably the truth anyway).

MyNameIsTerry
18-10-14, 02:20
Anxiety symptoms can mimic other conditions, such as a heart attack, etc. However, I think beyond that, we are interpreting our symptoms to be something like cancer, etc, as opposed to anxiety being 100% responsible for mimicing every disease we are worried about.

I agree with this one. I think it can mimic symptoms of lots of physical illnesses, but not all. I think that we interpret them this way when we may not fully understand how they should feel.