PDA

View Full Version : Started taking 20mg Citalopram today

Kings
16-01-13, 10:54
Hey all,

So after weeks of nagging my doctor and being told I don't require meds I have finally been prescribed Citalopram. I have read a lot of the forum posts and it seems they are pretty good I'm just concerned about the massive list of possible side effects. I'll keep you all updated how I get on and hopefully they will help.

Kings.

Sparkle1984
16-01-13, 11:14
Welcome to the forums. :)

I hope you won't have too many side effects. By law they have to list all the potential side effects, but most people will only get a few of them. You should start to feel better within a few days. Good luck and let us know how you get on. :)

Roxy79
16-01-13, 11:23
Hi Ive been on 20mg of Citalpram for years. Initially the side effects I suffered were excess sweating, confusion, problems with sex drive and tiredness. These are now at a minimum. The only side effect I get really is forgetfulness, so I have to write stuff down so I don't forget. Good luck with it x

Kings
16-01-13, 11:49
Thanks for the heads up folks. I have never had side effects with any meds before so hopefully this will be the same. I also believe I shouldn't have read the side effects as I may start worrying about them and make myself 100% worse. I'm glad to hear you had success with these and hopefully I will be the same.

Kings.

swgrl09
16-01-13, 16:08
I would try to go into it thinking you won't get side effects (being positive) and it seems that is what you are doing. Remember, the people who post more often had a lot of side effects. People who just got better and had an easier time don't tend to go online as often to find support because they feel great! Not everybody, just saying what you see online may be skewed.

When I started lexapro, I found it easiest to be aware that I may get odd side effects but just ride them out. My side effects weren't that bad physically, just a headache here or there and nausea but I found the physical side effects passed rather quickly. The increased anxiety was rough, but if you do get that (and you may not) just accept that it is part of the process and it will go away.

Good luck :hugs:

Noddy
23-01-13, 01:33
Funny you should mention the forgetfulness Roxy! I am constantly having trouble remembering things now and i used to be really good at this.

I have been on 10mg for 7 weeks now and did have pretty bad nausea, low sex drive, and not much appetite, however, things are pretty good now. The anxiety is still rather high and I am seeing my doctor on Friday and may ask to go up to 20mg. I don't think 10mg is doing much to be honest.

Did anyone else start on 10 and go up to 20mg? I am guessing the side effects will come and go again..