PDA

View Full Version : At breaking point with emetophobia and fear of snow

Zingara
16-01-13, 16:23
I have hit the wall today. I can't stop crying and shaking. I feel as though there is no way I will survive this winter - I literally feel that it's killing me. I cannot cope with this norovirus being in the news ANOTHER DAY!!! I don't know how I have coped this long. I really tried over Xmas to deal with it sensibly, not looking at news stories, focusing on reassuring statistics, and so on, but it just seems never-ending and I am running out of strength.

Then there is the snow... more is coming to my area over the weekend and the thought of it makes me want to die so that I won't have to deal with it. I know that must sound stupid, and I know there are people who love it and think that people who don't are killjoys, but I hate and dread snow, I am really petrified of it. It makes me feel so claustrophobic and vulnerable, alone in the house. Last time the snow was bad here, the hospital was completely inaccessible for four days, and I was in an agony of fear the whole time. Also, I've often heard that very cold weather, and especially snow, makes winter viruses last longer, so that's another reason to hate it.

I also have a whole heap of personal problems, which I won't go into here, as I don't want to raise too many issues in one thread, but my mum has really lowered my resistance this week by talking at great length about all my problems, my unemployment and so on, and making everything sound completely hopeless. I haven't got out of the house for weeks, and then it was only to the supermarket. I am so tired of being around the house, I am sick of inside activities, I can't even read (normally I read voraciously) and yet I am scared of going outside because of the snow and all these horrible viruses.

I hope someone replies, but if not at least I can vent on here. Thanks to anyone reading x

nomorepanic
16-01-13, 16:50
Hi

I have just done this post about emetophobia:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1104325

Zingara
16-01-13, 16:52
Thanks for the link, Nicola, I will have a look. x

Tessar
16-01-13, 23:19
Hello from a fellow emetophobe. Here's a really good thread to look at.......

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=126709&page=5

Hopefully to this'll offer u some assurance. If you have the news on, turn it off the moment they mention noro. I know there are some other good posts & will try to point u in that direction tomorrow!

Col
18-01-13, 15:36
hi zingara, im not emetophobic but, have an awful fear of dread because of snow and how cold i feel. although im petrified of hospitals , it worries me if they cant be accessed because of snow! its snowing now and im petrified and anxious to do school run in the car!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh

Zingara
18-01-13, 18:09
I feel exactly the same way - even though I'm scared of hospitals, the thought of not being able to get through in an emergency really terrifies me. It's snowing now where I am too - only lightly at the moment, but I think it's going to get heavier as the evening goes on. I'm really trying to be brave about it, but I'm trembling with anxiety. Thinking of you - hope it isn't too bad in your area. I hate it so so much. x

almamatters
18-01-13, 18:13
Exactly my fears , worried about ambulances not being able to get to me if needed and also fire brigade in case of fire. I not scared of driving in the snow but the thought of being stuck or trapped petrifies me, am also worrying about power cuts. In fact this snow has seriously made me anxious.:weep:

Zingara
18-01-13, 18:39
It's such a bleak time of year - my anxiety and depression seem to run riot in the winter anyway, and this sort of heavy snow is always my worst nightmare. Every winter I hope and pray that we'll be spared it. Just trying to get through it - I'm not so much taking one day at a time as taking one hour at a time! I feel so scared and trapped and vulnerable. I'm trying to control my panic by visualizing the spring and telling myself that it is just around the corner.