PDA

View Full Version : Do you HAVE to have a blood test to be diagnosed with H.Pylori?

Rls1994
16-01-13, 16:39
I heard there's other tests, like a stool test and a breath test, but are they enough to diagnose you with H.Pylori? My doctor suspects I have it but I have a HUGE phobia of needles and I heard that they can sometimes take 2-3 shots if they can't draw any blood the first time. I'd most definitely faint after the first shot like always. :/

almamatters
16-01-13, 17:14
I had a breath test, this was about 8 years ago, all I had to do was blow into a tube and that is how they tested to see if I had it. Not sure if they still do it this way but might be worth asking your doctor.

swgrl09
16-01-13, 17:25
If you drink a lot of water before the test, it will be easier for them to take the blood. There was a time where it took them like 3x to find a vein and get blood and I did pass out. So I drank lots of water before the next and it was quick and easy.

Rls1994
17-01-13, 16:05
Thanks guys.

I'm having it done tomorrow, so should I drink loads of water today or tomorrow morning? I want to make this at least uncomfortable as possible. Also, how long do they keep the needle in you for? I think any longer than 5 seconds I'll pass out.... :/

Sparkle1984
17-01-13, 19:56
I've found it best to drink lots of water about an hour or 2 before the appointment. When I've done that, the nurse hasn't had a problem drawing blood.

The first time I ever went for a blood test was a complete disaster - I didn't realise that drinking lots of water would make it easier, so I'd hardly drank anything at all, and the nurse didn't manage to draw any blood (even after 3 attempts and trying both of my arms!) and I ended up having to make another appointment. But I didn't have any problem the next time, as I made sure I drank a lot of water - about 2 glasses.

Rls1994
17-01-13, 22:45
Hey, thanks a lot Sparkle! I'll definitely take your advice for tomorrow. :) I'm glad that I actually like drinking water. :P

My parents say it's over in a few seconds, is that true?

Sparkle1984
17-01-13, 22:53
Yes, assuming everything goes OK, it will be over in a few seconds. Good luck! :)

Rls1994
17-01-13, 23:36
Thank you very much! That has definitely encouraged me even more than I was earlier. :yesyes: