PDA

View Full Version : Occupational health query

almamatters
16-01-13, 17:54
Hi I have an appointment with Occupational Health in 2 weeks. The problem is I do not really understand what happens at such a meeting, am I right in thinking that they will see if I am fit for work . I have got it into my head that they can say you are not fit for work and ultimately you can be dismissed by the company.
I am starting to really worry about this my employer said that it is just to see if they can do anything to help me, but I am being a bit cynical and thinking there is more to it than that.

Annie0904
16-01-13, 18:01
I have been to Occupational Health a few times and have found them to be supportive. I was concerned after my appointment on Monday (I have a thread about it) as he had not read any of my reports. I had the report from him today though and I am quite happy with it. He has said that my condition fulfills the criteria for disability under the Equality act 2010. He has said that I am not fit for work at the moment but thinks I should be ready for a phased return in the next few weeks (I had agreed to this). He recommended that they monitor my workload so that I am not given too much work.

almamatters
16-01-13, 18:12
Thank you Annie, I have read your thread, but am just wondering if OH say I am not fit or able to work, will they write to my employer who will then find a way to dismiss me. I don't know if I am getting confused over this.

Annie0904
16-01-13, 18:18
They may say you are not fit to work at the moment but may be in the near future. Work can however decide to dismiss you but there is a procedure to follow and they have to take into consideration the disabilities act. There are a number of ways they can dismiss you. One is to dismiss you will a few months salary depending on how long you have worked there another is to offer you a slightly greater amount of money if you agree to leave and they will give you a good reference. The first option involves Lawyers at a cost to your employer. They also have to try to offer you alternative employment within the company which is less stressful, but you are under no obligation to take it. x

almamatters
16-01-13, 18:31
Thank you Annie hope you are ok :hugs:

Annie0904
16-01-13, 18:38
I am doing a lot better thanks. I have mostly found Occupational Health to be supportive and 'on your side' x