PDA

View Full Version : A non HA sufferer had an insight into our lives!

lo89
16-01-13, 23:26
Hey,
I haven't been around much lately as I am doing much better, a lot of my symptoms are easing as I stop worrying so much. My boyfriend has been reading a lot of psychology books and most of them touch on health anxiety. He has ordered one book which is purely on health anxiety/hypochondria and it should be coming soon so I will read it and post any tips on here. Anyway, I am here to tell you all a little health anxiety story which proves we aren't crazy!
My boyfriends brother in law had a sore leg and went to the doctor about it. The doctor said it is probably be fine but it could be a certain condition (im not going to name it on here as it might make people google, but it isn't THAT serious and it is basically a muscular problem) and he should go back in a few weeks if it hasn't cleared up. He googled that condition and read the other symptoms, which included warm flushes, headaches, swelling etc etc. He had never thought about any of these other symptoms, but now knowing they could be related he began to panic. My boyfriend was going mad at this point trying to explain to him that this was why I get myself into such a state all the time. He was so worried he phoned his doctor, who laughed at him and told him to stay off google! Within a few days the leg pain, and all the other symptoms vanished.

It was just nice to see that the craziness and panic can happen to anyone - he is never one to worry and has never had health anxiety before. All because of stupid google!
Ps. Apologies for the terrible grammar and punctuation, I am on my mobile and the keys are tiny.