PDA

View Full Version : Pins and Needles...do they go away?

missfishlash
17-01-13, 10:32
Ive had pins and needles pretty much constantly for the last six months which to begin with was put down to a bit of a sore back and bad posture. My doc however wanted me to have some neuro tests just in case after he had done various blood tests. It was a long wait for the consultant appointment where I guess I got more and more obsessed with the pins and needles, the back wasnt even that bad any more....it must be something else etc.
To cut a long story short, i recently found this site and have finally accepted that the pins and needles are related to anxiety.....Im always tense, over think and have suffered from 3 bouts of depression and a few panic attacks
So Ive accepted that my mind has caused my symptoms....but how am I going to make them go away???The pins and needles are really annoying:shrug:

katieloveshoes
17-01-13, 12:50
Hi Missfishlash -

Ive mentioned this in about a million posts lol but thought I'd mention it again :-)

First of all - well done for accepting its anxiety. That is one step that most of us cannot and will not accept with HA - including me - but youve done it, so absolutely well done!

I had constant pins & needles at the start wouldnt go away for about 3 days - which isnt long considering your 6 month - but I can tell you whats making the stick around - your brain!

Its like when someone talks about nits.. what do you do? You scratch your head.. its the same with pins and needles, you might get them, then you think about them, then they get worse and stick around because your thinking about them then.. then you cant stop thinking about them so theyre still there etc etc.. you get the point!

Try 'delayed worrying'; you know its not life threatening, so say 'Ok so this is annoying, but I know its not anything serious, so i'm going to write down what time I had them and set a time to worry about it later - say 7pm' - and remind yourself to deal with it at 7pm, but untill then busy yourself doing something else, even if they are still there.

This will eventually trick your mind into thinking your dealing with it - but later. At first you might be absolutely pants at it like me lol I still am but only tried since Monday, and I have seen a slight improvement in my symptoms. If ive seen it after just 3 days im hoping after a month its alot better!

Good luck :-)

missfishlash
17-01-13, 18:40
That makes a lot of sense, love the nits example,lol :) Will try the delayed worrying thing, ive only been on the site for a week and havent come across that idea but I like it and will try it
Feeling really positive at the moment even tho the symptoms are still there I feel ready to stand up to them and its thanks to this site and the great people here
Thanks for replying Katie :D

katieloveshoes
17-01-13, 20:16
Good for you hun - you sound like me at the moment!

Your very welcome, any time!! x