PDA

View Full Version : Too ugly for love

birdinumnum
31-08-06, 09:04
Did anyone see this documentary on channel 5 last night, it was about people with body dysmorphic syndrome, the people in it were better than average looking but they saw themselves as absolutely ugly, no matter what people told them, and they wouldn't go out in public or had to wear sunglasses the whole time.
I was shouting at the screen 'you look fine, what is wrong with you?', then my husband pipes up 'with, that is what you are like with your illnesses, no matter how much I tell you there's nothing wrong with you, you still don't see it!!', and it really made me think, do I really sound that ridiculous? and am I wasting my life away like these people?.
Anyway my other point is that the psychologist in this programme was trying to desensitize these people by exposing them to the general public without sunglasses and makeup.
I know I got over my fear of spiders by making myself look at them, and I know ocd sufferers are made to touch germs and dirt.
But as a person with HA exposing myself to illness makes me worse (I work in a hospital for goodness sakes!) how are we supposed to rid ourselves of this horrible demon.
Sorry this was so long.
Birdi xxx

susie
31-08-06, 09:30
hi there yes i whatched the programe it was so sad, but it also made me think ,i was saying you can do it your loverly , my husband said you can also do it you must say that to your self .i felt so sad for them , i think the young girl who had her nose done really has some way to go bless her i hope she gets the help she needs , sue

jackie
31-08-06, 10:41
you have made such good points and you are right we do look mad and sound mad to others,

i hope one day to stop the fear

how to cure health anxiety?

anyone?

jackie

Paddington
31-08-06, 12:36
yes iwatched it and did see the frustration were very similar,when the chap was desperate to put his shades on in the supermarket i wept for him,i could sense he simply wanted to run!I think there is a connection with all these disorders to be honest and we all have different levels of anxiety[the young girl with the nose jobs was obviosly worse]cbt is the way forward for us all i think,but is not easy to get and is expensive!Well we have each other hey?love mary rose.xxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore