PDA

View Full Version : Scary feeling in chest/face when I woke up

Orange Lightning
17-01-13, 12:24
Well, I really didn't want this to happen after getting a clean bill of health on my heart, but I have just been through some new symptoms that I've never experienced before, and they just keep going. Last night I woke up only an hour after falling asleep and felt the following symptoms:

- Pins and Needles in my chest, along with a feeling of pressure
- Weakness/Heaviness in my arms and legs, especially when bending them
- Upon movement, a sudden hot flush that radiated through my chest, arms, legs and most worrying of all, my face. Began to fade after a minute, but my face still feels flushed today.

Every morning for the last 4 days I have woken up with heavy arms, and when I stand up I tend to notice my heart rate more along with stabbing chest pains in random places. I also feel very lightheaded, no matter how much sleep I think I get, and throughout the day my chest feels randomly tight. Worst of all, I keep getting cold feelings in my left arm and hands, left side of my chest, and even the left side of my head.

Sorry that there are so many symptoms, but I thought I was all clear a few days ago, and now I've been hit hard by some scary symptoms indeed! Could ALL of this possibly be anxiety or neurologically related? Very worried since any searches I do all take me either to pages about heart attacks or random "diagnosis" websites! Hopefully I'm not alone in this matter though, as I can't see my GP until next week.

Anxious_gal
18-01-13, 05:47
what potion were you sleeping in?
You may have just trapped a nerve, I often wake up with pins and needles along with heaviness in the affected area.

I guess if it keeps happening you could mention it to your doctor.

panickyme
18-01-13, 12:31
Sorry you do not feel well. Try to relax, your heart has been checked and you are alright. I worry about my heart so much, that I am constantly looking/ scanning for anything, sounds like you are doing the same. Anxiety can do this to you. I know it is frightening, but try to focus on something else, don't feed the fear. Just keep saying you were checked, I am fine. Hope you feel better soon.

skippy66
18-01-13, 14:38
what potion were you sleeping in?
You may have just trapped a nerve, I often wake up with pins and needles along with heaviness in the affected area.

I guess if it keeps happening you could mention it to your doctor.

I wouldn't advise sleeping in potions, this can have a whole range of adverse effects.

I've had all the symptoms you've just described and far far worse. This was 2 years ago when I was in the depths of severe health anxiety. When you're down there, you simply don't believe that these real physical symptoms can be caused by your anxiety disorder, but believe me when I tell you they can, and you can be free of health anxiety like I am in the near future. You just need to change your attitude towards life. Not easy, but possible.

Pinktel
18-01-13, 18:26
I think from your posts it is fair to say you suffer health anxiety regularly especially about your heart. We have all been there.

Time to stop.

We are a long time dead and now is the time to embrace what we have.

It is wonderful you have been given the all clear on your heart. Now is the time to plan what you will do to keep it healthy.

What exercise can you manage to do?
How is your diet looking?
Drinking lots of water?
Avoiding caffeine, sugars, alcohol as much as you could?

If you are happy with your answers to the above questions then you are in a better state to improve your health than many (including me probably :D) so you should give ourself a pat on the back.

If not, it is time to take stock.

Every single one of those symptoms you woke with can be linked to anxiety without a doubt.

How about trying the cbt4panic, it is very well presented and easy to follow?

I think it would be wonderful for you to take this clean bill of health on your heart and now make a commitment to ourself that things are going to change.

Like many of us you probably have anticipatory anxiety coursing through our body without realising it. It becomes a way of life. It takes time and effort to learn new ways of being and thinking. I have suffered for over 20 years and only now through cbt and massive determination am I improving. It is slow work. There are many setbacks. Somedays you still think you are going mad and will never improve, but when ou get a good day it makes it all worthwhile.

What is the alternative? A life half lived? There Re people in the world who would kill for our physical health.

You can't keep giving in to anxiety like this and torturing yourself.

Just my opinion, and no offence meant, I really hope something in tHis post can be of help or comfort :bighug1:

Orange Lightning
18-01-13, 19:26
I think from your posts it is fair to say you suffer health anxiety regularly especially about your heart. We have all been there.

Time to stop.

We are a long time dead and now is the time to embrace what we have.

It is wonderful you have been given the all clear on your heart. Now is the time to plan what you will do to keep it healthy.

What exercise can you manage to do?
How is your diet looking?
Drinking lots of water?
Avoiding caffeine, sugars, alcohol as much as you could?

If you are happy with your answers to the above questions then you are in a better state to improve your health than many (including me probably :D) so you should give ourself a pat on the back.

If not, it is time to take stock.

Every single one of those symptoms you woke with can be linked to anxiety without a doubt.

How about trying the cbt4panic, it is very well presented and easy to follow?

I think it would be wonderful for you to take this clean bill of health on your heart and now make a commitment to ourself that things are going to change.

Like many of us you probably have anticipatory anxiety coursing through our body without realising it. It becomes a way of life. It takes time and effort to learn new ways of being and thinking. I have suffered for over 20 years and only now through cbt and massive determination am I improving. It is slow work. There are many setbacks. Somedays you still think you are going mad and will never improve, but when ou get a good day it makes it all worthwhile.

What is the alternative? A life half lived? There Re people in the world who would kill for our physical health.

You can't keep giving in to anxiety like this and torturing yourself.

Just my opinion, and no offence meant, I really hope something in tHis post can be of help or comfort :bighug1:

No offense taken! Thank you everyone so far, but I'm afraid since this event I've been getting worse. Not only are there cold chills across my arms/back/head, my left arm and shoulder are in pain and my chest is the tightest it's ever been. Even when I'm distracted. :(

asmmargod
18-01-13, 21:18
Hey. I can relate to loads of what you say especially with tightness round my chest but you know what? I'm typing to you which means I'm still on this world. ;)
Panic attacks are new to me, I've had 3 of em this week but I'm still here.
I'm finding it difficult to understand that anxiety (mind action) can cause so many pains,aches etc (body action) but both go together and I believe we all manage to bounce back up one day :)
Hope you feel better tomorrow