PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram V Mirtazapine

jackie13
17-01-13, 21:01
Hi Guys

Has anybody any experience of the above?

I am currently on Citalopram but might need a change. Is Mirtazapine good for anxiety as well as depression.

Thankyou

Jackie x

BobbyDog
18-01-13, 06:18
I took Citalopram for many years and it worked wonders for my anxiety. I have been taking Mirtazapine now for about four years, I switched because I had terrible insomnia. I am being treated for GAD, SA and Panic Disorder, the Mirtazapine helps me with all of my mental health problems and I am told it works really well for depression too.

all the best.

jackie13
18-01-13, 07:47
Hi

Thanks for your reply. What was it like switching did you have side effects?

I have been on Cit for 5 years and was upped to 30mg 2 weeks ago, but thinking about it I have felt rubbish for a year and dunno with the Cit needs changing or has stopped working. The 10mg increase has left me feeling fed up and depressed.

Jackie x

JT69
18-01-13, 15:17
Hi Jackie

I changed from taking citalopram on and off for around 6 years 3 years ago as it had stopped working for me too. I found it brilliant it brought me out of a very dark place very quickly and certainly helped me sleep so much better...I found it didnt do much for my anxiety though and ended up adding pregabalin for gad on to the meds and the combination has worked so well for me. Pregabalin is very expensive though and lots of GP's wont prescribe it...I was lucky!!

One word of advice from me though would be to withdraw from citalopram slowly before changing as I reduced from 40mg - 0mg in 1 week and then started the mirtazipine and I had a couple of horrendous weeks with the withdrawal and the new side effects, even though mirtazipine has one of the best in side effects compared to the srri's.

Good luck and feel free to ask anything...keep us posted.

Take care
Jo.x

katexxxx
18-01-13, 15:41
i was on cit too,my doc tryed puuting me on mirt but i was too scared becos its an SNRI not an SSRI,so its alot stronger.he put on lexapro instead which is similar to cit

Londonguy71
21-01-13, 09:36
Mirtazapine makes me very sleepy but I get up quickly and go straight from inactive to hyperactive. The effect seems to wear off straight away. Most of the time, mirtazapine seems to mask the anxiety so I can think better and not worry about anxiety causing more anxiety. And this starts an upwards spiral in mood.

Cocomademoiselle
21-01-13, 10:20
Im on Cipralex (escitalopram) the supposed improved version of Citalopram and more expensive hence why docs prescribe Citalopram as a first line. Ive taken both. I felt that my Cipralex stopped working and find that adding Mirtazapine at 15mg so taking 2 and I feel that is working. I tried Mirtazapine on its own and it did not to anything for my anxiety or depression, although my doc said that could have been that I did not go up to 30mg quick enough but I felt at 5 weeks i should have had some signs it was working. Everybody is different though and different things work for different people. We are all unique and there is no right or wrong answer, just trial and error I suppose.

jackie13
21-01-13, 13:18
Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies, how is everybody today?

I had my Docs appointment this morning. The Doc did say that the Cit could have stopped working as my body was that used to it and it could now be the chemical makeup of my brain.

One thing that was interesting and concerning, I explained that when I do feel happy and fairly normal I then feel flat, the Doc said that SSRI's are also to level your mood, so if you feel rather down they bring you up to an average level, but if you feel happy etc they can also bring you down to that level. I have heard SO many different views off GP's in the last 5 years they all differ.

I am actually getting to the point now that I want my brain back!

Jackie x

Smallie
21-01-13, 19:10
I tried both.

Citalopram was a nightmare for me, got awful side effects, very tired, nauseous, no appetite so stopped taking it after just 1 day.

Mirtazapine was better, no awful side effects other than tiredness and appetite increase. The tiredness will die down after a few weeks.

For me, it worked ok for depression but not so much for anxiety so i also take pregabalin too.

bellanick5
23-01-13, 03:38
I am taking Celexa 40mg in the mornings. I also take the Mirtazapine at bedtime for sleep. I am seven weeks in on the meds. I am a 11 year sufferer, but ws doing quite well for a long time until I had alittle set back because I decreased my meds on my own (my fault)..don't ever mess with your meds without a docs approval( I have learned my lesson.... I am also taking 1/2 mg of ativan 3x a day and 1 mg of ativan with the Mirtazapine (30mg) at bedtime. I am still stuggling alittle bit, mostly in the mornings and early afternoon. But, I feel I am climbing a mountain and almost to the top, but not quite there yet. My doc will slowly take me off the nerve pills hopefully when I feel the time is right. Everyone is different, if you feel the meds are helping then please stick with it. I wish you comfort very soon:hugs: